18~ Can You Feel It Too

Daisy dragged me into the empty girls bathroom at lunch.

"I need to ask you a question, chica. It's gonna make you uncomfortable, but I need you to answer it honestly." I nodded, peeking under the stalls to make sure nobody else was in here. Because when she was done, I'd have a few questions to ask her myself.

"Okay." I answered, prompting her to go on.

"Does Caleb use protection?" The question was so blunt and weird, that I bursted out laughing instead of taking her seriously.

"What? Daze, why would you even ask something like that?" I leaned back against the sink, waiting for her to answer. She shook her head, anger flickering in her eyes.

"This isn't funny, Scarlet. Does he use protection or not?" She growled. I felt my smile starting to fade as she ran a hand nervously through her straightened black hair.

"I don't know, Daisy. I'm sorry I don't keep tabs on my brothers sex life." I took a step toward her, frowning, "Why are you asking?" I could feel a cold feeling starting to form in the pit of my stomach before she even answered.

"I missed my period a couple days ago. And I. . . well Caleb and me. . . well. . ." She threw herself into my arms instead of going on, starting to cry.

"We've been sleeping together and he. . . he made me promise it wouldn't get serious, but it got serious. I like him and I think we both forgot protection the last time. And I'm a horrible friend for not telling you, I understand if you want to leave and never speak to me again." Her accent became heavy the more emotional she got, making some of her words sound strange. I got what she was saying and wrapped my arms around her, forgetting about how mad I was supposed to get.

"Daze, it's okay. I'm here for you, no matter what. That's what friends are for, right?" I whispered. She started sniffling as she pulled away, her eyes glistening.

"Even if I end up as one of those shitty teen moms on a reality show?" She asked.

"Even then." I assured her. She wiped the mascara that had started to stain her cheeks.

"L. . . let's talk about something else for now. What's going on with you and Mr. Sexy Football Player?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, dabbing her cheeks with a paper towel.

"I honestly don't know." I confessed, sighing. Daisy stared at me for a second, as if she were studying a text book the day before a big test.

"You like him." She said, smiling weakly.

"What? How could you possibly know that?" I snapped.

"Babe, I may not know River very well, but I know you. You've never smiled like you just did at the mention of a guys name. Not even with that dick, Issac." She reached into my purse and pulled out an unopened mascara that I had bought a few days ago. How she knew it was in there, I had absolutely no idea.

"And when you told me about the kiss in the car, you looked happy. You were like. . . what my mom calls glowing." She went on, tearing the package open. I turned to look in the mirror, wanting to deny at least some of what she said, but couldn't find it in me to.

I looked. . . different. I had actually decided to put make up on today, to care about how I was going to look. I only did it once and a while, especially when Daisy encouraged me too. But today. . . it had all been my idea and deep down I knew it had something to do with me wanting River to finally notice.

The River that was probably just going to walk by me in the hall and act as if I was nothing more then some annoying sophomore, a thorn in his side. The River that was probably sticking his tongue down some girls throat to try and forget about his feelings for me.

"Scarlet?" Daisy spoke up, sending me a quick look.

"Hmm?"

"I need you to promise me something." I pried my eyes from my reflection in the mirror and let them fall on the girl beside me.

"What?" I crossed my arms over my chest, curious about what she wanted me to promise.

"I want you to promise me that if you really like River, that you won't let him get away. I'll figure out a way to talk to Caleb, but I don't want to see you regret it if you lose him. Tell him, chica. Let him know you like him before it's too late."

***

Any other promise to Daisy, I would have been positive I could keep. But the second I stepped into the attic, all the courage I had built up the last few hours flew out the window.

River was sitting on the bed, reading out of our History textbook, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It wasn't any reason for my stomach to start doing cartwheels, but I found my stomach doing it anyway.

"Hi." He set the book down in front of him as he greeted me, a smile breaking out across his face. I was about to ask him how the game went tonight, but decided against it the second I saw him start limping.

"What happened?" I asked, meeting him halfway.

"I got hurt." He shrugged it off as if it wasn't a big deal.

"At school or somewhere else?" I didn't have to clarify, he knew what I meant right away.

"School. It's just a twisted ankle, Carls. I'm fine." He reached for my hand, but I slowly pulled it out of his grip.

"We need to talk." I mumbled, taking a step back.

"About what? Us? Last night? Scarlet-"

"I like you." I blurted, "I like the idea of us, River. I told you I have no experience with any of this crap and I don't know how I even have the confidence to say this. But I want-" He kissed me before I could finish blabbering on.

The kiss was different from the last two times. It wasn't a spur of the moment action, it actually meant something.

"You have all this confidence because it's me, Carls." He said, resting his forehead against my own, "And if you're inexperienced with all of this, then you seriously need to give some people lessons. You have more balls then half of the guys on the team." I smiled, laying my head against his chest.

"I should sit down before I hurt my foot more." I helped him across the room, back on to the small bed of pillows he had created. He pulled me down beside him, smiling.

"It's such a turn on for me when a girl has confidence, you know." River breathed out, trying to hold back a laugh when I blushed.

"Especially when I know that they can kick any guy's ass that tries to hit on her when I'm not around." I laughed, sitting up.

"You're such a guy, River." He propped himself up on his arms, grinning.

"And you love me for it. You always have, always will." He winked, smiling as he watched me take in his words. After a few minutes of silence he patted the spot beside him again.

"Scarlet, love. Come over here and talk nerdy to me."

***AN***

Hope you enjoyed. 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24