25~ I Love Everything About You

"You look, um, nice."

River said, setting the cup of hot chocolate down in front of me. I mumbled a thank you under my breath before meeting his eyes.

"Caleb thinks we need to talk." I said, getting straight to the point.

"So you came here because Caleb made you?" River asked, his eyebrows arched.

"What did you expect? That I'd just come running into your arms because you changed your mind about us? I'm not the same little girl I was, River. The one that would do anything for you." I snapped.

"Did you listen to any of my messages?" He whispered, changing the subject for a second.

"No. I was too busy trying to get some pig off me at the club." I grumbled, bitterly. He perked up at what I said, his eyes darkening.

"Someone was messing with you? I'll kick his ass, Scarlet, just let me-"

"I don't need you to kick anyone's ass. I can fend for myself." I cut him off.

"Don't do that." He said suddenly, avoiding my eyes.

"Do what?" I reached up, touching my face.

"Bite your lip and look at me like that." I blushed, realizing the reason behind his words.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know-"

"You don't have to apologize. I just don't want to embarrass the crap out of myself and get up with a, uh, you know." I blushed even more, a laugh escaping my mouth.

"That's disgusting." At least it wasn't the most disgusting thing I'd heard tonight.

"It's natural, Carls. You should feel honored." I smiled, staring down at my purse on my lap.

"R. . . Ri. . . ver." My head snapped up at the familiar voice, making everything that we had just talked about a hell of a lot more awkward.

Ryan was sitting in his wheelchair a few feet behind me, his hands resting on his lap as he stared at his younger brother across the room.

"Yeah, man?" River stood up, walking over to his brother. Ryan nodded down at the Ipad on his lap, which River picked up after a second.

"Okay, bro. I'll grab your bag and get you out there so Aunt Mare doesn't have to do anything." River gave me a quick look before walking down the hall to the rooms. Ryan stared at me for a long moment, his eyes romaing my face.

"S. . . sc. . arlet." He said. I waved at him, smiling.

I guess River had started to look a lot more like him as he got older. Both of them had the same dark brown hair that was almost black and the bright blue eyes that could light up a whole room.

"Here. Now let's get you outside, big guy." I rested my chin on my hands, smiling after him as he pushed the wheelchair out to the car that had just pulled up outside.

River walked back in after a few minutes of talking to a woman outside, scratching the back of his neck.

"Sorry about that. He has therapy in the morning on our aunt wanted to take him." I nodded.

"It's fine, River." I stood up, clearing my throat, "So I think this is it then, right? Apparently I've turned into a bitch after breaking up with you, so now I'm going to say goodbye and leave this all behind." He stiffened, his eyes drifting from the floor to me.

"So that's it? Nothing is going to come out of this? We won't be friends?" I shook my head.

"I can't, River. You. . . your the one that wanted to break this off in the first place, and I guess I get it now. Go to college, go live a great life." I answered, smiling sadly. He took my hand in his own, caressing it.