20~ I've Gotta Know

"You scared the crap out of me!" I slapped my brothers chest as hard as I could, ignoring the strange look he was giving me.

"What the hell are you doing out after ten by yourself?" Caleb whispered, his grip on my wrist nearly cutting of my circulation, "Do you know all of the creeps that hide out here at night?" I shook my head, ripping my hand from his grip. I had to bite my lip to stop myself from telling him River was waiting for me somewhere in the darkness.

"Scarlet, answer me." He snapped, sounding more like a father then an older brother.

"What are you doing out here?" I knew he'd realize something was up since I answered his question with another question.

"I was taking a walk to clear my head, why are you out here? Stop avoiding the question." He shoved his hands into his pockets, staring down at me angrily.

"I was with a guy from school, all right?" I threw my hands in the air, glaring at him. "Not that you even need to know that. You can't ruin my life forever, Caleb." His head snapped up at my words.

"Ruin your life? Why? Because I won't let you become another one of River's toys? I have to protect you, sis. It's what I do." He said, reaching out for my hand.

"No, it's not. I'm almost seventeen, Cal. I should be able to make my own decisions, good or bad. You can't protect me from the world forever." I was about to keep going when he grabbed the sleeve of my jacket suddenly and pulled me toward him. He flashed the light on his phone along my collar bone, sending blush to my cheeks.

"Is that a hickey?" He questioned, sounding even more pissed off then he had been a few seconds ago.

"I know you're sleeping with Daisy." I said, hoping it would distract him, "Why'd you lie to me about it?" He literally brushed his hands off against his shirt before changing the subject back to me.

"Are you having sex?" I stumbled backwards at his question.

"Excuse me? What makes you think I'd tell you if I was? I'm not going to sit here and talk to my older brother about my sex life." I snapped, pushing him away from me.

"Why are you wearing River's ring? Scarlet, what the fuck is going on? Are you banging River?" A mixture of hurt and anger crossed over his face as he waited for my answer.

"Not everything has to be about sex in a relationship, Caleb." I responded, avoiding his question.

"Are you having sex with River?" He repeated, not even trying to hide the bitterness in his voice, "God, Delia was actually right. I gave you the benefit of the doubt when she told me you were with him. I thought you gave a shit about how I felt, Scarlet. You know what he did to me and your still going around and fucking him behind my back." He started to back away, holding his hands up in surrender.

"You need to choose. It's either me or him, sis. Because I'm not going to be part of your life anymore if he is." In that moment I wanted my brother to go off and start yelling, to threaten River. It would have been ten times easier to deal with then how he was acting now.

"Caleb-"

"Save your excuses, Scarlet. I'm tired of them." Then my brother disappeared into the darkness, leaving as if I meant nothing to him.

"Carls?" River's quiet voice broke through the silent night. I turned around, burying my face in my hands and shaking my head.

"He's being childish." I growled. "He's acting like a seven year old." River pulled me into a hug, his breathing so quiet I barely heard it.