7~ Insomnia

"I'm so sorry, chica. What a dick!"

I barely looked at Daisy as I shrugged. She was perched on the desk, staring down at me with a worried look in her dark brown eyes.

Most of the class was staring at her, surprised that she wasn't afraid to get caught sitting on her desk by Ms. Wilkson.

"Yeah." I said, then yawned. Of course that had to be the exact moment the teacher decided to turn around and catch me talking. She pointed her finger directly at Daisy, her upper lip curling back.

"What do you think you're doing, Ms. Vargas?" She asked, shaking her head.

"Sitting." Daisy said, a smile stretching across her face. The teacher frowned, "Is there a problem with that?" I flicked Daisy's ankle and shook my head, opening my mouth to snap at her. Before I could, the teacher pointed toward the clock.

"Well, Ms. Vargas. You'll be doing a lot of sitting in detention." I heard a few people laugh around the room, adding to Ms. Wilkson's anger.

I waited until she went back to her lecture to turn around and send my best friend an angry look. She was slowly sitting down in her seat, staring down at her pink and black nails as if they were ten times more interesting then this class.

I tapped on her desk to get her attention, narrowing my eyes. She shrugged, propping her chin up on her hands. After a second, she finally leaned forward and smirked.

"That, my dear friend." She paused dramatically, "Is how you get yourself extra time to do your homework."

**

After homeworking and watching UFC with my brothers for a few hours, I found myself on my bed in my room, reading some Glamour magazine that Daisy must have left here.

It was one of the quizzes I took that made me do a double take on the real reason guys never wanted to ask me out.

Did I not dress pretty enough? Was Daisy right when she said I should occasionally ditch the sweatshirts and sweaters and wear something more attractive?

I jumped off my bed the second I heard a light knock above me. My hand loosened from where it had wrapped around the book beside my bed when I realized who it was.

"Idiot." I mumbled as I stepped out of my room. I made sure my brothers weren't paying attention and climbed up into the attic. I found River sprawled out in the middle of the room, just about to do another sit-up.

"What do you need?" I asked, crossing my arms tightly over my chest. River sat up, arching an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"You banged on the floorboards." I replied as if it were obvious.

"I accidentally hit it, I wasn't banging on it either. But feel free to sit and watch me work out." He winked as he took a deep breath and went back to doing sit ups. Almost as if he were purposely trying to get under my skin, he stopped and slowly slipped off his dark t-shirt so he was shirtless.

"I. . . I'm gonna go." I started toward the door, but River's hand wrapped around my wrist.

"Don't." I swear I saw his cheeks starting to tint red as he stared down at me, "I. . . I want someone to talk too." I sighed, staring at his hand in disgust.

"If you want me to stay, then you better get your sweaty hand off of me." I said, taking a step back. He dropped his hand to his side before holding his arms open for a hug.