30~ All The Same

The weekend River went to the University with Collin for a tour was probably the most chaotic time of the year.

Everyone was getting ready for the winter formal, including Daisy who was still giddy over the fact that Caleb had asked her.

"Do you smell that, Scarlet?" She asked on Monday after school. I was still looking for Caleb and River, but hadn't seen either of them at all since Thursday. Were they even back yet?

"What? The bad meatloaf in the cafeteria? I think everyone can, Daze." She rolled her eyes, mumbling something under her breath as Steven peeked his head into the room.

"Sis, Mom's on the phone. She wants to talk to you." I didn't have to ask what he meant, because deep down I knew he wasn't talking about Damon, Collin, or Caleb's mother. He was talking about ours.

"What does she want?" That was usually the only time she called, especially since she had a whole new family to take care of.

"I dunno." He shrugged, smiling at Daisy, "Come out here." I gave Daisy a worried glance before following my brother out of the room.

"I think she wants us to come over. You know, to meet the family." I gave my brother a weary look, to which he only returned with a weary look from behind his classes.

"Come on, Carls. Just talk to her, no harm can come from it." He patted my back gently and handed me his phone.

At least she won't call me a whore.

"Hello?" I leaned against the kitchen table, waiting for a response on the other end.

"Scarlet, sweetie!" She greeted happily.

"What do you need, Sally?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"I don't need anything, darling. I was just telling Steven that I'd love you guys to come over and spend Christmas over here." I almost said no right away, but Steven threw his hand over my mouth and shook his head.

"We need to make an attempt." He mouthed, gesturing toward the phone.

"Okay." I hesitantly agreed, "I guess we could swing by after we have Christmas here with Dad, Collin, and Caleb." I replied, ignoring the goofy look Steven was giving me.

"What?" I mouthed, confused. He pointed toward the door right as Collin and River walked in, talking about some hockey game.

"Scarlet, sweetie, are you still there?" My mom's voice broke me out of my trance and I pried my eyes off of the boys in front of the door.

"Yeah, Sally. I'm here." I scratched the back of my neck nervously as River made his way over to me, "What time do you want us to come?" She hesitated for a second, humming to herself.

"Is noon Christmas morning okay with you? The kids would be happy to see you two." I nodded, waving my hand in River's face when he tried to ask me who I was talking too.

"That's fine. Here's Steve again." I handed the phone over quickly, not wanting to hear about how the kids were doing.

"Why is she calling?" Collin asked, tossing his jacket on to the coat rack.

"She wants Steve and I over for Christmas." I muttered. Collin was about to respond, but River cut him off before he could.

"Who the hell is Sally?" He blurted.

"Steven and Scarlet's mom." Caleb responded, walking into the room with nothing but a towel around his waist, "You don't know her." He sent a pointed look in River's direction.