26~ Eye Of The Storm Pt 1

"You can't seriously be blaming me for this!" River shouted, throwing his hands up in exasperation. I crossed my arms over my chest, scanning the police invested lawn.

"Then who should I blame? River, you seriously almost killed him. Do you expect me to put all the blame on him or something?" I snapped, then shook my head, "I'm sorry, you just scared me, all right? I thought. . . I thought you were. . ."

"I'm here." He kissed my forehead, brushing the hair out of my eyes. "We're okay. It was just a fight, Carls. We-"

"Excuse me, Mr. Moore. We'd like to know exactly what it is that happened." River and I both whirled around to face the cop in front of us, shocked. I opened my mouth to speak, but River beat me to it.

"From the beginning?" He asked. The cop nodded slowly, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes, kid. From the beginning."

**

12 hours earlier

When I woke up, the storm was still raging outside. River had rolled over a little so he was staring up at the ceiling, one of his arms draped over his chest.

"River." I shook him awake just as the light in the room went on and nearly blinded me.

"Hmm?" He grumbled.

"It's. . ." I paused, checking the time again, "Crap, it's five thirty." I started to climb out of the bed, grabbing the dress and my purse on the ground.

"So? It's early." He mumbled, barely audible. I rolled my eyes, shaking him again.

"Come on, River. I have to get to school by seven. And I still have to shower and get dressed." He waved his hand, pushing me away.

"It takes you two hours to get dressed?" He asked, finally lifting his head up. I felt a little bad for disturbing him when I saw the dark circles under his eyes.

"You know what? I'll just call Steve and-"

"No, no. I'm up." He grabbed a change of clothes and dragged himself into the bathroom.

I waited quietly in the living room and hurried out of the room after him as he threw the door open.

"You want a breakfast bar?" He asked, turning the corner into the kitchen. I nodded, thanking him quietly as he tossed the bar into my hands.

"Looks like the streets are flooded." He muttered, peeking out the blinds, "We better get going before the second round comes." I agreed and followed him out of the house, my face scrunching up when I saw the water surrounding his tires.

"Do you want me to carry you and put you in the car, Princess?" River joked, back to his usual self.

"No." I replied, smiling, "I think I can get in myself, Royal Fool." He laughed quietly until we got into the car.

"As you wish, Your Highness." He started the car with a smirk, sending me a quick wink.

"You think my brothers are going to be pissed?" I questioned.

"I don't know, "He shrugged, "I guess we'll have to wait and see."

The ride back to the house was quiet. River would occasionally say something that would get a laugh out of me, and the radio even went on sometime during the ride, which was a surprise because River had gotten the car from some cheap car lot down the street.

"It doesn't look like we got hit as hard." I said out loud once we pulled up to my house. I could see Collin standing in the kitchen with a pissed off look on his face through the window.