9~A Moment Like This

"Scarlet!"

I jumped up, my notes and textbook flying all over the floor as I raised my head to glare at Caleb.

"What? Is everything okay?" I asked, worry starting to build in my chest.

Was River okay? Had something happened to Daisy?

"River's gone. I think he went to the bar or something." He said, casually. He had stormed in here, scaring the crap out of me, just to tell me something that wasn't all that important.

"So?" I prompted my brother to go on.

"So I think he's pissed or something. Someone called him on our way back from the hospital." I frowned, reaching for my phone on the nightstand, sending my brother a look.

"Do you mind helping me up so I can go find him?"

**

I couldn't have been any more relieved to have the crutches gone and a boot on my foot instead. It was still a little difficult to walk, but at least I could do it.

When I walked into our usual bar, I immediately walked over and asked Linda if she'd seen him.

"He was here a few minutes ago." She frowned, scanning the crowd of people on the dance floor, "I can send one of my boys to find him if you want to. You shouldn't have to get pushed around, not with you having a baby and all." I gave her a thankful look and sat on the barstool, watching her whisper something to the guy beside her.

"So how far along are you, darling?" She asked, wiping down the counter in front of me.

"Almost six." I replied, resting a hand on my stomach, "Our little boy will be here in a few months." She grinned, grabbing a glass and filling it with water before pushing it in front of me.

"I remember my first boy, he sure was a handful, but I wouldn't trade him for the world." She said, continuing to wipe the counter as she spoke.

"You two have a name picked out yet?" She asked.

"Reese." I whispered, not exactly sure why I was starting to get so nervous. Was I afraid she was going to tell me something I didn't want to hear?

"Beautiful name." She complimented, "And what does that hot boyfriend of yours think about that?" She cocked an eyebrow, leaning against the bar in front of me.

"He's excited, and scared. I think we both are." I said, rubbing my stomach gently.

"Don't worry, Scarlet. It's normal to be nervous. Just make sure you get that Daddy to stick around to raise the baby, you hear me? If he so much as thinks about leaving, give me a call and I'll knock some sense into him." I couldn't help but laugh as I nodded.

"Carls? What are you doing here?" I spun around to face River. He looked like crap. His eyes were bloodshot, a black and blue mark had started to form on his cheek as well as under his right eye.

"Did you get into a fight?" I asked, grabbing at his shirt sleeve. He ignored what I asked and grabbed my elbow with a shake of his head.

"What are you doing here? What logical woman would come into a bar six months pregnant?" He growled, his lips curling back in a snarl.

"Maybe the same woman that was worried you were going to do something stupid!" I snapped, ripping my arm from his grip, "What was I supposed to do? Just sit and worry myself to the point of hurting myself and the baby, not knowing where you were? What happened, River?" I could see the glassiness over his eyes starting to fade as he took my hand in his own.