13~ Hey, Brother

"Steve." The name was a breath of relief as I pushed River away gently. My older brother stood in front of the attic door, his eyes flickering back and forth between River and me.

"Jesus, Scarlet. You are so dead if Caleb finds out about this." He said, crossing his arms over his bare chest. Before I could say anything, River took a step forward and gave Steven a weary smile.

"But Caleb doesn't have to know, right man? I remember when you used to-"

"Don't even try, Moore. I'm going to give you a warning now. If you even think about lying to me, I'll call for Caleb and Collin right now." My brother turned his attention to me, "Now tell me what the hell is going on here." River and I exchanged a look before he finally nodded and started gestured for Steven to sit on the Princess bed.

I stood in the corner of the attic in silence, watching as River explained everything to Steven, leaving very little out and even lying about a few things. Once he was done, Steven let his eyes fall on me.

"You're too nice." A nervous laugh escaped me at his comment. That's all he had to say? After everything River had just said, all he had to tell me was that I was too nice?

"Are you going to tell Cal or Collin?" I asked, ignoring his questioning look.

"I won't under one condition." He answered, but he wasn't looking at me. His eyes were on River.

"And what's that?" River cocked an eyebrow, smiling.

"I want you to take Scarlet out on an actual date."

"What?" River and I both gasped, lifting our heads up to face each other. That was the furthest thing from what I had thought he was going to say.

"Why?" River finally spoke up, pushing his ear length black hair out of his eyes. I had seen him so often in the last month that I had barely noticed his hair growing or the stubble that had started to appear on his chin.

"Because she deserves to go on a real date with a real guy, River." My brother sent me a wink, "And she's had a massive crush on you since Junior High." I buried my face in my hands, afraid to see the look on River's face.

"I had a crush on him, Steve. I don't anymore." I grumbled, feeling my cheeks heating up even more.

"You had a crush on me?" River pried my hands from my face, smiling down at me, "And you didn't think I knew? Scarlet, I wasn't stupid." I groaned, pulling away.

"Please stop." I could hear Steven laughing under his breath.

"You think this is funny?" I flicked his forehead on my way back over to the attic door.

"No, I think you better stop being embarrassed and agree to my request. If you don't, you better be prepared to hear from Cal and Collin." I huffed out another groan, staring at the paint peeling wall in front of me.

"Fine." I whispered, knowing they probably couldn't hear a word I said. But it wasn't for them anyway. I had to twist my own mind into accepting what he had said before I could let them believe I actually wanted to do it.

*

I woke up to the sound of moaning from across the hall. Being the nice person I was, I decided not to get up and go bang on Caleb's door.

"Crap." I heard someone growl outside my door. I crawled out of my bed, twisting the knob so I was face to face with River.

He was dressed, which he was about to leave.