11~ Let's Pretend

It probably wasn't my greatest idea to trust River.

I mean, this was the guy that took my brothers trust and washed it down the drain like it was nothing. He was the guy that could never keep a girlfriend, other the Delia of course, for longer then a month. He was everything Damon and Collin said I shouldn't be with, that I shouldn't like, yet here I was standing beside him at the mall.

"River, this isn't going to work." I snapped, sending a worried glance at the cashier over my shoulder. He was too busy looking down at his phone to notice the suspicious teenagers standing in front of the dressing rooms whispering.

"Of course it is." He smirked, taking my phone from me. "Now go." He gave me a gentle shove toward the cashier.

"Hi." I mumbled, wishing I hadn't tied my hair back. The guy behind the counter slipped his phone back into his pocket and grinned.

"Hey. Can I help you?" He asked, completely oblivious to the fact that River was standing a few feet away watching us.

"I have to go to a party tonight." I said a little louder, "And they gave me the problem of trying to get beer. I was wondering if you could help me out." I saw River shaking his head and gesturing toward my chest. I fought the urge to flip him off before I leaned across the counter, smiling up at the guy in front of me. He swallowed quickly, breaking his eyes away from my chest and back to my face.

"Why would I risk going to jail for buying alcohol for an underage girl?" River was trying not to laugh as I stepped back, slipping money out of my back pocket.

"We'll pay you." I finally nodded toward River, smiling reassuringly at the cashier. He frowned, staring at the money in my hands.

"Fine. I get off at eight. You two can meet me down at the convince store." I grinned, backing away so that I was closer to River then the cashier.

"Can we go now please?" I whispered, grabbing his elbow. He laughed and nodded, dragging me out of the Hot Topic and leaving the guy to stare after us in confusion.

*

I was still trying to wrap my head around River's plan as I sat in the food court, stuffing my face with frozen yogurt.

Did he actually expect this all to work? Did he not think at least one of my brothers would kick his ass if they found out about this.

"Look, Scarlet. It's easy. If people think we're dating it's a win win situation for us both. I'll finally get Delia to leave me the hell alone and guys will find you incredibly desirable once they think you've been with me." He had explained, looking sure of himself.

"And what if Caleb finds out?" I was worried about any of my brothers finding out, but Caleb was definitely my biggest worry. Not only would he kill River, but he would possibly never speak to me again.

"What's he going to do? I'm not afraid of him and you shouldn't be either." That's where the conversation had ended. I couldn't bring myself to fight him any more.

Now, I could see him making his way back over to the table with food, already drinking the soda in his hands.

"You look satisfied." He joked, his eyes on the empty frozen yogurt container in front of me.

"You know what would make me even happier?" I asked. He raised an eyebrow, shoving a fry into his mouth as he waited for me to go on.

"To eat in peace." I said it so sarcastically that I actually felt a little bad. He didn't seem to take what I said in whatsoever. He only continued to eat, occasionally looking up at me in curiosity.