8~ Even The Best Fall

River disappeared the next day, and didn't return for the rest of the week.

The school seemed more freaked out about it then anyone else. Their beloved star player had dropped off the face of the Earth with absolutely no sign if he was coming back or not.

I guess it was a little odd for me too, I had grown so used to River being in the attic the last month that it seemed unnatural to walk up there and find it empty.

It was Saturday evening when I found River upstairs, his bare back to the attic door, as if he had no intention of leaving or talking to me.

"River?" My voice was barely above a whisper, but the statue in front of me turned slightly, but not enough to show his face.

"Hmm?" He finally groaned. I shut the door behind me, afraid my dad or brothers would hear me talking.

"Where were you?" It was the first question that slipped out of my mouth, and I regretted it the second I saw his muscles tense.

"Out." Was his grunt in response. I edged an inch or so closer to him, just as he whirled around to face me. Every word that I had prepared myself to say slipped from my mind and drifted off into space.

I found my heart starting to race as my eyes roamed his bloody covered abs to his bruised and bloody chest.

"River." I shook my head, reaching out for him, he only dropped his head and let out a quiet growl.

"Leave." He said, nodding toward the attic door, "Forget I'm up here." I reached for his hand again, but he pushed me back.

"No. I said to leave, Scarlet. Leave and forget I'm living up here, okay?" I wanted to ask him what the blood was from, why he was being such an ass, but the only thing I found myself doing was backing away.

"Friends." I finally choked out, "You said we were friends, River." It was then, as I spoke, that the realization finally registered. Had Caleb thought we were together? Had Steven said something to him about the jacket?

"I don't want to be friends." He snapped, his eyes caging a dangerous look in them, "Get out, Scarlet." He repeated, his right hand held tightly over his lower stomach, obviously where the blood was coming from.

"I'm not leaving until you let me help you get cleaned up." I said, biting the inside of my lip, waiting for him to explode. Instead he kept his composure and sat down on the bed.

I hesitantly walked over, slipping out of my old sweater as I sat down in front of him.

"What happened?" I asked, trying to pry his blood stained fingers from his stomach.

"I'm fine." He grunted, hissing in pain as I finally tore his fingers apart. I swallowed the lump in my throat and wiped the blood around the gash with my sweater.

"Your tits look huge in that tank top." River commented, laughing quietly to himself. I ignored the warmth in my cheeks and his comment as I continued to try and find the actual cut.

"Scarlet?" His voice sounded strained, almost as if it hurt for him to talk.

"If you ask to touch my boobs I will punch you in the stomach." I grumbled, bluffing. He chuckled, but it turned into hisses of pain after a couple seconds.

"I was just going to say thank you, but whatever." He muttered. I stood up, scanning the room for the old first aid kit my mom had thrown up here a couple years ago. I found it under my mom's wedding dress and carried it back over to River.