2~ If It Doesn't Work, Fix It (River)

"And?"

I growled, impatient. The doctor shook her head, staring down at the results. I slowly turned to Scarlet, watching her chest rise in fall as she slept. She looked beautiful, even in a hospital gown.

"It seems to me, by the X-Rays and the urine test I got back, that she is, indeed, pregnant." I had to grab on to the chair behind me to stop myself from falling.

"Though, Mr. Moore, I wouldn't tell her just yet. Ms. Grey needs all the rest she can get, especially with her broken ankle. Just keep the news to yourself as long as possible, at least for the next few weeks." I nodded, barely hearing a word the doctor said.

She was pregnant. Scarlet was pregnant because I fucked up and didn't use protection.

"You may leave any time you want." The doctor handed me the ultrasounds and a copy of the results before walking out of the room and letting the door swing shut behind her.

I lifted my head and stared at Scarlet for a moment, a knot starting to form in my stomach. She had already had a hard enough time trusting me back in high school, she thought I was a piece of shit. Now. . . now she would hate me if I didn't tell her, but the doctor was probably right and I know Scarlet, she'll definitely over worry and hurt herself even more.

"You're being creepy, Riv." Scarlet whispered, her eyes fluttering open. I smiled weakly, shoving the papers into my jacket pocket.

"Creepy? I think not." I replied playfully, helping her sit up. She laughed quietly, not aware of the fact that the hospital gown was open in back and I could see her body nice and clear.

"Did Steve find Nik?" She asked, gripping my shoulder as she climbed off of the bed. I waited until she had screamed into my chest and grabbed her crutches to respond.

"Yeah. He said he'd explain everything when we get back home." She nodded, yawning.

Once we were in the car, she leaned back against the seat, her eyes half open.

"What were the results?" She asked. I bit the inside of my mouth, trying to figure out some lie.

"They were inconclusive. The doctor said to come back in a few weeks to try again." She turned her head in my direction, frowning.

"That's weird." I agreed with her before starting the car and letting out a shaky breath. She was asleep again within minutes, and as much as I hated to admit it, I was relieved she was.

I kept quiet the whole way home, only saying something aloud when someone cut me off on the street. When we finally pulled up to the apartment, I found Steven and Mia's mini-van parked on the street.

"Carls." I shook her awake, but she barely budged. I sighed in defeat and shoved my keys into my pocket before walking around the car and picking her up. She laid her head against my shoulder, her warm breath spreading across my neck.

"You're really tired." I stated the obvious as I made my way toward the apartment and slipped my arm under Scarlet's body to open the door.

I found Mia sitting on the couch with Maya in the bouncer in front of her.

"Hey, River." She nodded in my direction, keeping her voice low so she didn't wake Scarlet. After laying her on our bed and walking out, I found Steven sitting in front of Mia, smiling down at their daughter.

"So, how'd it go?" Mia asked, smiling. I scratched the back of my head, not sure how to answer the question.

"She's pregnant." I said, "But the doctor doesn't want her to know for a couple weeks, so she can take care of her foot and everything, you know?" They both nodded. Steven finally gave me a dirty look, one that only one of her brothers would give me.