Chapter 1

September 23, 2016
River's pov
Before the first show in Vancouver  I had started school. I had been sick before school had started so I wasn't really feeling it. I had signed up for cross country and everything was going well, I thought. When I went home to tell them when try outs were Demi got all pissy. We got into a fight about my priorities, she tried to tell me that my head wasn't in the game and that I was taking on more than I could handle. So I called bull. She told me that I was inconsiderate. I asked inconsiderate of who. She said her. And I snapped. I was inconsiderate, she was a mega bitch less than a week before. So I told her to shut up and get her head out of her ass and that she need reconsider her life decisions before she tried to judge me on mine.  So Demi and I aren't really talking because I feel like I can't talk to her without wanting to punch her. I also think she missed my first cross country meet on purpose.
But anyways, I understand touring is hard but no one else except mom is being a major bitch. Dad says we're going a family vacation for fall break which is cool but Demi's coming and she's really letting me down. "Jordan?" Miss Johnson asks.
"Hm?" I ask directing my attention toward her.
"Are you alright?"
"Yes, ma'am."
"Well, class is dismissed."
I feel my face getting hot with embarrassment. "Oh, thank you. I'm sorry I didn't hear if there was any homework."
"Yes, page 436. There is a reading and some questions, read the passage and answer the questions. This is do Monday."
"Okay, thank you. Have a good weekend."
I walk out of the classroom and the halls are empty. Which is cool. I text dad because he's in Vancouver with mom and I miss him. I go outside and it looks like Maddie and Meadow left without me. Corrbin's is at cross country practice so I looks like I am on my own. I start walking and stop at Starbucks. I order and turn to leave, but that's when I notice the paparazzi is taking pictures of me. I call Marisa who doesn't answer. I don't know what to do. I hate these men. I take a seat at the table in the back corner. I guess I'll be here in here until Marisa can pick me up. I pull out my laptop and work on some online homework. I text Marisa about the situation. My laptop beignets to ring and it's dad. I answer. "Hi, daddy."
"Hey baby, what are you doing?"
"I'm trapped in Starbucks."
"Trapped?"
"There are paparazzi outside. I'm waiting for Marisa."
"What are you alone, I thought we made it clear you and your sisters are not to be alone."
"Well I was daydreaming in English about our trip and was late out of class. So I guess Maddie and meadow just went home."
"River."
"I know, I need to pay attention."
"Did  you take your Meds?"
"Yes, I did. I don't know. I guess I just got distracted."
"Are you worried about our trip?"
"Kinda. Mom still being rude and I have I be at her concert next Friday and I really don't want to go."
"Who are you talking to?" Mom asks.
"Don't tell get it's me." I tell home as he says, "River?"
"Oh." She says shyly her face pops onto the screen. I have to refrain myself from rolling my eyes. "Hey, Riv." She says with a fake smile which just pisses me off.
"Hi." I say curtly. I really don't want to talk to her.
"How's school going?"
"Good." One word answers that all she deserves.
"Cross Country?"
"Do you really want to know? Or are you just being polite?"
"Riv-"
"No, you promised that you would be there you didn't have a concert the night before or that night. Who was at that meet for me? Not you. Marisa, Bryan, Maddie, and Meadow. Not you Demi. Not you."
"I'm sorry." She says.
"Whatever. Dad I'll call you later."
I hung up before he could say anything. Marisa still hasn't texted me back I finished my homework and then began to study my Spanish vocab. My phone vibrates, my alarm is going off. Dance! Shit. I don't have my stuff, so I can't walk. I look out the window and Marisa pulls up. I pack up my bag and I rich out to the car. "Where were you?"
"I had a doctor's appointment."
"Oh, is baby Carter okay?"
"Yep, just a check up. When we get to the house grab your stuff and a snack."
"Okay."
"Have you talked to Nick or Demi today?"
"A little, I talked to Dad and then Demi showed up and ruined everything like usual."
"Are you still pissed at her for not coming to the meet?"
"Yes, I am. She promised and then she broke that promise."
"I know but you should just move on."
"Oh, I've moved on." I scoff.
"River?"
"Hm?"
"Will you be able to hold the house down for the rest of the night?"
"Yeah, why?"
"I was gonna go home after I pick y'all up from dance. I miss my bed, Bryan and buttercup."
"Oh, okay." The rest the car ride is silent with the exception of the radio. Mom's song on and I change it. Marisa glances at me. I can already hear the phone calls that I'm going to get tonight. We pull up to the house and run and shout for Maddie and Meadow to get in the car while I quickly change and grab a snack. We go to dance. Which was a nice release after kind of talking to Mom. Marisa picks us up from dance and takes us home. I make grilled cheese for dinner with vegetables for dinner. I help Meadow with her homework. I shower and make sure the house is locked up then I finish up my homework for Miss Taylor and pack a little for our trip. My phone rings causing me to jump and my binder to fall onto the floor. I sigh and answer the phone.
"Hello."
"Hey, Riv."
"Demi?" I ask rolling my eyes. She must be about to get on stage because she's all gitty and excited.
"How are you, baby girl?"
"Fine?" I question why is she calling me its almost show time.
"I just wanted to say hi. Daddy's on stage and I'll be on stage soon. I can't wait to see you."
"Okay."
"Alright, bye baby girl. I love you."
"Okay. Bye."
I hang up quickly and lay back on my bed. She just doesn't get it. She let me down. She acts like nothing happened. I remember. I miss dad more than her. Then I take my meds and turn on some music and close my eyes.