Chapter 23

Demi's POV
River leaves for school, which is when I leave her room. She texts me asks me to let Shadow out and feed her. I sigh and roll my eyes, but I wouldn't let the poor dog suffer. I let her out in the back and make another pot of coffee. I let Shadow back in and make a cup of coffee.
Then I go back upstairs. I decide first to go check on Meadow whose sprawled out horizontally across her bed snoring softly. I chuckle, I take a sip of my coffee and close the door. I take a deep breath and make my way to Maddie's room. It smells like bleach and a hint of copper, the smell of pennies. I sigh. I put my hair up and walk across the room slowly and into her closet. I slowly take her clothes off her hangers and fold them slowly. Tears leave my eyes, but that's when I notice the box in the corner. I don't want to snoop but at this point I don't have a choice. I crouch down and open it.
Three bottles of pills, all stripped of the labels, six razors, and to my surprise a journal and serval folded pieces of paper. I take out the a piece,
'Dear Demi, 
I know. You can't believe that I'm so selfish. You are hurt. And that's my fault. There are things that I should have taken care of, but I'm weak. River, she's thriving, school, her music, and dancing. The way you look at her, you used to look at me. I know I have nothing to be jealous of because you love me, you always have. But, your love and approval is not what I need. I needed mom and dad. To you I am so sorry. But I've been abandoned by my parents and the girl that I love. I'm sorry.'
I wipe my face and that's when my phone goes off. I look at it, it's River. "What?" I snap.
"Am I speaking with the mother of River Mendez-Lovato-Jonas?" A man says, shocking me.
"Yes? Who are you and why do you have my daughter's phone?"
"My name is David Parcel, I'm an EMT. There's been a fire and I need you to meet me at the hospital."
"Fire? At the school?"
"No, ma'am. At 7771 Eastwood Lane. A treehouse."
"What the fuck?" I whisper, "I'm sorry I'll be there."
"Okay."
I grab the letters because I can feel that this is going to be a long day. I rush into my room where nick is snoring and I shake him, "River's in the hospital. We have to go."
"What? Why?"
"She went to her treehouse and it was on fire. Honestly I don't know. But we've got to."
"Okay. I'm gonna get ready. Ask Max to watch Meadow."
"Okay." I change my shirt and then grab my purse and charger. Then I knock on the guest bedroom door.
"Yes." Max answers.
I open the door, "River's in the hospital. We have to go. Will you watch Meadow?" He nods, "Max, please," I take a deep breathe and hold my stomach, "please, don't tell Meadow about anything that's going on."
He nods, "How's baby Max?"
I wipe my face and chuckle, "it's okay I think. I mean it's moving around."
"It's a boy, I can tell."
"Oh. Really? How do you know?"
"Because I remember how your face would grow with anxiety at the slightest movement in your belly when you were pregnant with-"
"No, please. Don't say his name."
"Ready?" Nick asks from the door way.
"Yes. Thank you, Max."
"Yeah, man. Thanks. We really have to go."
We get into the car and I can feel the baby moving. "Max, says it's a boy." I whisper, feeling numb.
"Really?"
"Yeah he says it all over my face."
"Well, all I can say is that we are not naming our baby max."
"I know." I chuckle, "on a more serious note, the school didn't even contact us about her being absent."
"Well, we could have a talk with them." Nick says.
"Her treehouse was set on fire."
"Yep."
"Something's going on and we need to know about it. Nick, I need you to understand that I need to do to find out the truth."
"I know." We pull into the parking lot.
"No, I'm serious. I'm going to be hellish, and you have to back me up. Something is happening and we don't know what it is." He nods.
I know he doesn't want to be a part of this hard and confrontational situation but I need him, to be my partner in this haunting parenting nightmare.
We rush into the emergency room and the nurse tells us where River is. We walk into her room, her eyes are closed, he's got bandage around her hands and arms. And her hair is singed almost to the scalp in some please. And has an oxygen mask on. Nick gasps and she opens her eyes. Immediately I feel relived and dizzy at the same time, I sit in the chair and try to breath I was not expecting this.
"What happened?" Nick asks.
"It's gone." She whispers between deep breaths, she looks me in the eyes, and through a raspy voice says, "I'm sorry." And closes her eyes.