Chapter 2

September 24

River's P.O.V.
Three hours later.

I wake up to the sound of footsteps downstairs. I grab my bat and my phone and act quickly. I go to Meadow's room first because it is closest to the stairs. I pick her up gently and carry her to Maddie's room.  I lie her in bed next to Maddie and  lock the door behind me. I grip the bat with one hand and carefully head to the living room. I notice the kitchen lights are on and there is not only one shadow but two. I hide behind the bookshelf and try to get a glimpse of these people that are in my house. I pull out my phone and dial Marisa's number I set it on the floor. Then I jump out into the kitchen screaming, "Get out!"  As I start swinging the bat, attempting to hit any and everything.
"River!" Mom screams.
I jump back and open my eyes, "what the hell!" I hiss.
"We just got home," Dad says a little too happy considering the situation.
"You couldn't call or text? You scared me! Seriously! You know what? Whatever! I am going to bed."
"River?" Mom says.
"No, shut up." I can only see red and the more she talks the more she pisses me off. I walk away, I go into my bedroom and lock my bed. I'm beyond irritated. They know how much shit like that freaks me out. Breath. Shit, my heart is beating so fast. In and out, I keep telling myself as I lay on my back and text Marisa.
'Hey, sorry for the call. Demi and Dad are back. Hopefully, they'll take me to my stuff tomorrow. I'll call you in the morning. Love you!'

I lay in bed trying to control myself. I roll over it's nearly two in the morning. I sigh and FaceTime Corrbin and he answers half asleep. "Hey, are you okay?" He asks through a yawn.
"Yeah, just wanted to see you?"
"what's wrong?"
"Mom and Dad are home."
"Oh, when did they get home?"
"About twenty minutes ago."
"So, you are really calling because they woke you up and you don't want to be up alone."
"that, and I almost killed them with a bat."
"You're silly."
"They scared me. I was ready to attack." I laugh at how ridiculous I sound. Then someone knocks and spoils the moment, "One sec." I plug my headphones in and put my phone underneath my pillow. I go over to the door and fling it open, "Yes?"
"Hey, yeah, um, I just wanted to say sorry for scaring you. Um, if you need me I'll be in the guest room." Demi whispers.
"Why are you sleeping in the guest room?"
"Just so I can sort through a few things. We just came home to see y'all and so that we could take you out to have a fun day tomorrow."
"Okay."
"Good night I love you."
"Night."
"I really do love you."
I closed the door and went back to FaceTime Corrbin but he was sleeping. I took a screenshot and ended the called. I'm wide awake now so I just think.
Mom made me nervous to be around and I don't think that's good. I haven't cut and 67 days and I don't want to ruin that. I couldn't go back to sleep so I worked on some homework to clear my mind. My stupid English paper is pissing me of. 'Write about some thing you care about two to three pages.' I care about Corrbin, Maddie, Meadow, and dad, but Demi I don't know I just can't decide. I break down and cry for the first time in weeks. I cry because I miss my mom, I had a real mom for a while and then she just went away. North Dakota is two weeks a way. I have two more concerts to go. I just can't figure things out right now. My alarm goes off meaning it's 7 am and I have to get ready for my morning run with my cross country crew. We all meet a block away from the school which is a four block walk for the house. I decided to leave a note in case Dad and Demi  woke up before I got home. I leave after I take shadow out with just my phone and headphones. I jog down the drive way to our meeting spot. "Hey beautiful!" Corrbin says when I finally get there.
"Hi babe."
"Ready?"
"As I'll ever be."
"Alright guys we are gonna go our usual three miles then we'll run every one home. On three lets run." Out caption Julia says. She's a senior and really nice. "One, two three."
We all yell, " let's run!"
I run next to Corbin. We clap at the first mile. I jog ahead of Corrbin and now I'm in the middle of the group. We clap twice  at the second mile. I jog a little faster to catch up to Julia, her jog is nearly a sprint to me. We reach the third mile and clap three times. We jog to Corrbin's house first cuz it's closest. Then drew's house next and then so on till it's just Julia and me. We walk to my gate. We stop, "hey River?"
"Hm?"
"I have thought about it and I want you as co caption and hopefully if you keep up the hard work you'll be captin next year."
"Wow, thanks that would be an honor."
"You have a good day." She sprints away and I open the gate and make sure it's locked behind me. I sprint to the door. It's 8:30. I shower and change into my dance outfit. Meadow is ready and Demi is making breakfast. I eat quickly and then go find dad. He's in his office when I find him. "Hey dad will you give Meadow and I a ride to dance?"
"I'm sorry honey have some stuff I have to do before our vacation. Ask mom."
I sigh. I find mom talking to Meadow on the couch. "Can you take Meadow and I to dance please?"
"Yeah, let me get my keys." I don't wait for her I just go get in the car. I have 10 minutes to get to dance. It takes seven minutes to get there if you go the  speed limit. Demi and Meadow get in and I buckle up. "How's school."
"Fine."
"Do you like your classes? Are people nice?"
"We don't have to do this."
"What?"
"Talk like you care." 
"I do care."
"Whatever."
"River I'm sorry. I've said a hundred times, and I don't know what else to do."
I put my headphones in and she continues to drive and peak over at me. I wait till she stops the car. I pull on the handle to get our but it's locked I unlock it but Demi locks it again. I take out a headphone. "What?"
"What time are you done?"
"Noon."
"Three hours?"
"Yes, Corrbin will walk Meadow and I home."
"I can pick you up."
"No, I said Corrbin will walk us home."
"Okay." She whispers, "well I love you."
"Okay bye." I get out. I wait outside the car for Meadow.
"Bye mommy love you."
"Bye princess, love you too,"
I teach two classes and then take my pointe class. I change and Corrbin and Meadow are waiting for me. We stop at Starbucks. And then head home. "How's your mom?" Corrbin asks as Meadow trails behind.
"I don't know."
"Have you talked to her?"
"Not really since she flipped out when Meadow broke her arm."
"Oh how's your dad?"
"Good, busy..."
"I'm tired." Meadow shouts. I roll my eyes.
"Come here. I'll give you a piggy back ride." She smiles. I take her bag and she hops on. "Your getting tall... Chipmunk."
"I'm 4" 8' now I'm almost taller than River." 
I chuckle. "I'll always be older, creek,"
"I know, River?"
"Yes, bug."
"Is mommy back?"
"I don't know."
"What if she is?"
"That would be great."
"Will you love her again?"
"Never stopped loving her. She just really hurt me. I just can't let that ever happen again."
"Riv, can you take this chipmunk the rest of the way?" Corrbin asks as we approach the gate.
"Definitely. Thanks for the walk baby." I give him a hug and a kiss. "I love you."
"I love you. Call me later."
"Ya, we're doing something today so I'll call tonight."
"Okay, bye."
He walks away and Meadow hops on my back. "River."
"yep?"
"I don't like school."
"Why not?"
"I don't have any friends."
"Are people mean to you?"
"Yeah."
"Like who?"
"Just the kids in my class."
"Well, stick up for yourself just tell them to stop."
"Okay."
We open the door to loud music and Demi cleaning. I set Meadow down and that's when mom dances over to use dancing. "Hey go take a shower, and then we will go to our surprise."
I go upstairs and take a shower. Downstairs gets quieter. I turn on my music as I get ready.

A/N
Hey guys I'm gonna split this chapter in two. So stay tuned...
And please pray for me cuz I might punch this chick I'm working with in the face.
Okay well, Stay Strong.
~Sydney ❤️✌️