Chapter 21

Nicks POV
Marisa as been admitted for exhaustion, dehydration, and because the baby's heart rate was too high. Bryan just let us know that she'll be on bed rest for the next week to get her strength back. He comes back to hold rivers hand and he whispers to her as Demi goes to Maddie's room. I listen to him whisper to River, "hey, life is too short. It's too short to be angry, but I am. I'm angry that my fiancé is in the hospital. I'm angry that my nieces are in the hospital. And I'm angry that your parents canceled their tour because you and your sister can handle being on your own every once in a while. I'm angry that you are angry, but you won't tell anyone why. You have every right to pissed of every once in a while. I'm upset that we can't help you, because you won't let us. I think that you are hiding something, and I think that you are being selfish. My fiancé is in the hospital because you gave her a hard time, and she thinks she failed you and your mom. You need to get some gratitude. But like I said, I love you, no matter what you do or say I love you." He says rubbing her hand.
"I love you too." River whispers with her eyes closed. "Go. Check on Marisa and the baby." He nods and kisses her forehead.
As he walks past me he leans in and whispers, "go look at her hand." I look at him confused but nod, "thank you." Bryan leaves. I walk over to River's bedside and grab her hand. I sigh, I know what these bruise knuckles are from.
"I'm sorry." She whispers.
"We'll deal with it tomorrow."
"Okay."
"We're gonna leave in a few, but like mom said she'll sleep with you in the guest room."
"Okay. I just want to go home."
"I know."
I rub my thumb across her knuckles. "How disappointed is mom."
"I don't know about mom, but I'm very disappointed." I tell her. She gasps, "but I still love you." Just then Demi comes in with the doctor.
"I'm discharging her. You all have a good night. Enjoy your homecoming, River."
She opens her eyes, "thank you. I'm so sorry for my attitude, I'm not usually like think this."
"I suppose this change in attitude as something to do with you not taking your medication, I would start taking it tomorrow. You're blood alcohol level is now nothing."
"Thanks, doc. We will be back to check on Marisa and Madison tomorrow." I say to him shaking his hand. River climbs out of the bed and slowly makes her way out to the waiting room where Max is holding Meadow who is still asleep and unaware of everything. Max drives us home and he stays in the guest room next to meadows room. River passes out as soon as she hits the bed.
"I want to get Maddie's room cleaned up." Demi says through a yawn.
"No, go to bed. I will do it."
"I can help."
"No, it will be a sight too triggering for you."
"Okay. Thank you, I appreciate it."
I give her a kiss and hold her belly. "Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet?"
"No, my next appointment is the day before vacation, which I think we should still go on."
I happen to disagree but I don't think now is the right time for the discussion. She lays next to River pulling her into her side. I turn off the light and make my way to Maddie's room. As soon as I turn on the light my stomach drops. The rope is still hanging around the fan, the noose is laying on the floor and there's blood everywhere. I go down to the kitchen and get a trash bag. I get a glass of water because room makes me dizzy. Then I go back up stairs and get too work. I throw the rope and box cutter in the trash bag, then take all of the sheets, pillow cases, and comforter and throw them away. Then I get everything out of the house that reminds us of the incident. Then I go back in the room with a bucket of bleach and water, and I scrub. I don't realize how long until I hear river get in the shower. Demi come in and looks around the room, "babe? Did you sleep."
"Not yet." I say as I continue to scrub.
She comes over and grabs my shoulder, "babe, it's gone. Go to bed." I sigh I know she's right but this room doesn't feel like Maddie, and I can't. But I drop the sponge back in the bucket and go to bed.