Chapter 4

Sunday
River's pov
Mom and dad made breakfast for us. Then they kinda fade into the background, therefore I take on my normal responsibilities. I made sure Meadow showered then I set her up with her homework in the the dinning room. Then I go to Maddie's door and she is listening to music. I knock on the door and she doesn't answer so I go in anyway. She's sitting on her bed. She doesn't look up but she says, "hey what's up?"
"Hey, so dad said you were struggling with an issue."
"I'm fine."
"I know that line. You are not fine. I think that if Danny hurt you, took advantage of you, we should do something about it."
"I'm fine, leave."
"No, I'm your big sister. I care."
"Fucking leave!" She screams and I jump.
"Maddie, don't shout, I'm just trying to help you."
"Get out of my room or I'll make you!" She shouts out at me.
"Just talk to me. Talking really does made it better."
Before I even realize it she's up off her bed an I fly into the wall. I slide down and she stands over me, "fucking leave," she hisses.
"Maddie." I say as I stand. Then she punches me and I fall down, "daddy!" I scream. She keeps punches me as I curl into a ball, "stop!" I scream over and over. Mom and dad burst. Into the room. Dad practically tackles Maddie to the ground as mom picks me up and carries me out of the room as dad restrains Maddie. Mom takes me to my room and hugs me.
"What happened?"
"I... Dad asked me to talk to her about Danny. I was just trying to help. I was just trying to be a good big sister."
"Hey look at me."  I look at mom, for the first time in a long time that I have locked eyes with her. I begin to sob harder, "hey, are you okay?"
"My head." I sob, "I was just trying to help. Daddy, said Maddie was struggling. I was just trying to be a good big sister."
"You are a good big sister, you hear me. You are a good sister." She hold me, "hey, I'm going to get you some ice. Then me and you are gonna take, we're going to catch up." I nod and catch my breath.
Dad yells as mom exits the room, "what the hell is wrong with you?"
Meadow comes running into my room all wide eyes. It's all so weird Maddie never acts like this she is just screaming hysterically, "leave!" Over and over.
"What's going in?" Meadow asks as she crawls into my bed.
"Maddie's upset. It's okay." I try to tell her.
"No, Madison! You can't just tell me to leave. I'm not going anywhere. Now talk to me!" Dad shouts.
"I'm not talking about anything." She says stubbornly, I can see her in my head crossing her arms and clasping her lips shut.
"Fine." Dad sighs, "you're grounded. Give me your phone, your laptop and your remote. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior."
"I need my laptop for school!" Age screams.
Sad chuckles, "that's funny because I have been getting calls from your school because your not going."
"Whatever!" She screams.
"I wasn't going to tell Demi, but now it's out there. So here the deal, you are going to school, everyday, all day."
Mom comes back into the room and closes the door. "Here's some ice."
"Mom, I missed you." Meadow says crawling into her lap.
"I missed both of you."
"I missed you too momma." I whisper. "So girls how'd school and life? When's the next competition."
"Good. My cross country captain told me yesterday that I'm co-captain as well as captain next year which will make me the first sophomore captain. We have a competition in two weeks. And I have a new song for the concert."
"Wow, I'm so proud of you!" She says. "You know I am very sorry for missing your meet. I love you so much."
"I love you too."
"I love you both too. But I finished my homework so in gonna go paint." Meadow says as she skips away.
"We had to make a new rule for Meadow because she refused to do her homework because all she wanted to do was paint."
"What about school for you?"
"It's good, miss Taylor comes on Wednesdays and helps me with homework. I have a C in math, English, and science. But everything else I have A's. I think I can get my grades up to a B before fall break."
"I'm so proud of you. Dad and I have two surprises for y'all over fall break."
"Mom, I missed you, the real you, my mommy."
"I know, I was selfish. I'm so sorry."
"Mom?"
"Yes?"
"I'm sorry."
"You don't have to be sorry." We sit in silence for a a minute and listen to the house fill with music moms voice from meadows room and heavy metal from Maddie's room.
Mom and I go to the music room. I get a guitar and sit on the floor mom sits at the piano and I begin to strum. I sing:

You and I
Two of a mind
This love's
One of a kind

You and I
We're drifting
Over the edge

And I will fall for you
If I fall for you
Would you fall too?

You and I
Learning to speak
With kisses on cheeks

You and I
We're lifted
Over the edge

And I will fall for you
If I fall for you
Would you fall too?

And I will fall for you
And if I fall for you
Would you fall too?

Would you fall too?
Would you fall too?
Would you fall too?
Would you fall too?

"Wow Babygirl that amazing."
"Do you think I can throw that into my set?"
"Absolutely. You guys will fly out Friday night."
"Alright, I want it to be a surprise."
"Alright I need to pack Marisa will be here in an hour."

Author note:
Hey guys I have been listening to a lot of ed sheeran which as influenced my writing. I will update as soon as possible.
Stay strong
~Sydney ❤️✌️