Chapter 8

Rivers pov
It's one am and Meadow has kicked me off the bed six times in the last three hours. I'm awake now, I grab my laptop and phone charger and go to the couch. To my surprise Mom is out there. "Hey baby."
"Hey, Mom." I say as I slump down into the couch next to her.
"How come I'm just Mom?"
I smile, "are you not my Mom?" I ask sarcastically.
"I am, in fact."
"What's going on in that pretty head of yours."
"I'm nervous."
"For the concert? You do amazing."
"It's just singing, I don't want to forget the words or fall or something."
"I forget words all the time. As for falling, my fans say it's not a concert unless I fall. You will be fine."
"I know. I love it, the singing is great but sometimes I wish I would have never started and just stuck with dancing."
"Baby?"
"Hum?"
"Be honest with me."
"Okay?"
"Have you been reading comments?"
"A little." I say as I hang my head and tears slip from my eyes. "I didn't mean to, but I got a notification that Colby commented..." I take a deep breath.
"And what did it say?"
"She said that my voice sounded like a a dying goat and that I was fat."
"What post was it."
"It was a video of Corrbin and I singing."
Mom doesn't say anything for a few minutes while I collect myself. "Did you read your fans comments to her?" I shake my head. "Well here's one,
'Hey Chica, she is beautiful and has the voice of an angel.'
'Don't hate the player hate the game.'
'No one likes a girl who is ugly on the inside. Love yourself.'
'Watch out momma Demi will get you.'
'River, is the most beautiful person I've ever seen.'
See baby you have an army. I love you, your family loves you."
"Mom, I just don't understand how she could say that about me. She was my best friend."
"Baby, you had to move on, maybe when softball starts she won't be that way."
"Maybe."
"Come here."
I curl up next to her and she soothes my hair. Eventually, I finally fall asleep. Next thing I know my body is waking up and my eyes open. Immediately I feel the air brushing against my bare legs and the carpet on my face. I groan, Mom must have carried me back to bed There is only one way I could have ended up on the floor, my little sister kicked my ass out of the bed. I quietly change into shorts and a tank and lace up my shoes. I text Corrbin to see if he is awake. Then I go to Mom's side of the bed and gently tap her. "Hm?"
"Mom where's the gym?"
"Riv, please."
"Mom, you said you got a hotel with gym, I need to run."
"It's on the first floor, now please, just let me sleep." I nod as my phone buzzes.
'Run time 😘?' Corrbin texts me.
I smile and reply: 'yeah living room in 5.'
I go into the bathroom and brush my teeth and throw my hair in a bun. Then I go to the living room and wait for him.
He comes out and I hop on his back and we go down to the hotel gym. I turn on some jams and we start running on the treadmills. After an hour we head back to the room. "What are you wearing today?" Corrbin asks.
"Well, I'm going to wear my blue croptop and my black shorts. I'll just throw on a tshirt when we're shopping."
"Okay, are you excited for tonight?"
"Yeah I have a surprise for you..."
"Really?" He asks with a sly smile.
"Yeah." I reach for the door but he grabs my hand. I look up at him.
"Hey, can I kiss you?"
I sigh, "yes."
He leans into me and I lean against the door as our lips meet. I put my hands through his hair. We pull apart and he whispers against my lips, "I love you."
"I love you too," I say as the door flies open.
"Come on love birds." Mom says.
I run to the bathroom to shower. Get dressed quickly. When I go into the room to get my makeup meadow is sitting on the bed coloring. "Hey, you want me to do your hair?"
"Yeah. I'm so excited. Mom said to tell you that we are stopping by Starbucks."
"Yes! You want a braid and bun?"
"Yeah, messy please."
"You got it prairie."
"Thanks creek."
"Are excited for to night. We're gonna hit mom with all the surprises. And you get to sing with 5H."
"Yeah and we have a surprise today. Hey creek."
"Hm?"
"Don't you just want to stay with Mom and Dad all the time."
"Yeah, I wish we were home together all the time, but I understand that they have to do their job. But I really like school and my friends. Don't you."
"No, I'm gonna ask dad if I can stay."
"Meadow you have to go to school."
"No I don't, the people there are mean, hateful, sons of bitches."
"Woah, Meadow!" Mom says as she walks in.
"Oh, Mom, um... I'm sorry." Meadow whispers.
"Who are sons of bitches?"
"No one!" She blurts.
"River?" Mom asks.
"Um..." I look at Meadow who shakes her head, but when I look at mom, she's giving me that look with the arched brow and it breaks me. "Meadow, said she hates school cuz everyone's mean to her, and she doesn't want to go back home," I blurt out, "Meadow, I'm sorry, it was the look, you know how I weak I am."
"Yeah! You're weak as hell! Damn it River! I didn't want to tell her. Ugh!!" She shouts and screams into a pillow.
"Okay, well, listen here. Meadow look at me." Mom says sternly.
"No." Meadow snaps.
"Meadow Alicia Lovato, look at me."
Meadow looks up as Dad walks in, "What's going on?" He asks.
We all ignore him as Mom talks,  "We're gonna have a fun day full of surprises. We're gonna smile, so wipe those eyes. We will talk about this tomorrow. We will have an issue however if you ever speak to me like that again. Understand?"
Meadow glares at her and mumbles, "fine."
"Now get your dance bags together we need to leave in five minutes." I nod, I toss my shoes into a bag and put on my slides.
Max pulls the car to the front and Corrbin and I climb into the back. "To Starbucks."
"Yes!" I shout. Then I snuggle up to Corrbin. I pull out my phone and take a snap.
"Riv, the usual and a chocolate chip muffin?" Mom asks.
"Yes please."
Mom orders then passes back our drinks and food. I start to eat and my phone buzzes: 'Hey miss you girl, I'm having a homecoming after party at my house, wanna come?' Julia texts.
"Mom, can I go to a homecoming after party?"
"Um, who's?"
"Julia's."
"Let me talk to her mom."
"Okay."
I text her back:  'my mom has to talk to yours.'
"We're here!" Mom squeals.
"Demi,  calm down." Dad chuckles.
We all get out of the car and walk into a warehouse. Down the hall someone yells, "five, six, seven, eight." Then music starts... I know that voice.
I gasp, "Mom you didn't."
"We did!" Mom shrinks. "Get in there."
We are step into the door, "stop!" Miss Abby Lee yells and I jump. "Hi, y'all must be Meadow, River and Corrbin. Your Mom has told me a lot about you. Maddie!"
Maddie Zeigler walks over, "yes?"
"Show them where they can put their bags."
"Okay," she looks at me, "hey. River right?" I nod, "I love your music."
"Thank you!" I say blushing.
"Okay, you can leave your bags here. I think Miss Abby is gonna have you dance for us. I'm so excited."
I could scream right now, "really?" Meadow pipes up.
"Yep, I have to get Mackenzie, I'll be right back, change into your shoes."
We change into our shoes and then join the group in front of Miss Abby. All of sudden a door is swung open, "where is she!" Mackenzie screams.
"Mackenzie! Relax. Who?" Miss Abby asks.
"Meadow Lovato!"
"Me?" Meadow asks shocked.
"OMG I'm your biggest fan!"
"Hi."
"That's weird, usually I'm the shy one." I chuckle.
"Alright, so I have a few request. River and Meadow will you please perform nightingale for us. Then Corrbin and River will you preform better together?"
"Yes!" I scream hopping.
Meadow and I get into position then the music starts and the music takes over our bodies. The applause at the end is better than any competition. On top of that Miss Abby smiled. I grab a drink and then Corrbin and I dance.
"Alright girls! Everyone get a snack and some water, then River is going to teach us 'Who's Laughing Now'."
I skip over to Mom and Dad with Corrbin, Meadow sulks over. I take a drink out of Mom's  water bottle and hand it to Corrbin. I look over at Meadow and my smile dissolves, "What are you pouting for?"
"Nothing."
I roll my eyes just as Miss Abby walks over, "I'm so excited that you guys are here. You know I'm opening a studio in LA, I would love all of you to consider joining us."
Before I can say anything Mom jumps in, "we will think about it. River is auditioning for the Nutcracker here pretty soon."
"Okay, well you have my number. Alright you three finish up, I can't wait to see how my girls do with this dance, hip hop isn't one of our strongest."
"I'm so excited, thank you Miss Abby for having us!" I chirp.
Miss Abby walks away and Maddie and Mackenzie join us, "Meadow you are so good!" Mackenzie chirps and Maddie  punches her in the side, "ow! What!" Maddie gives her a look, "oh you too, guys. But for real can I get a pic for insta." Meadow pipes up with a grin.
"Sure. Can I get one too." It's weird how Mackenzie and Meadow click.
All of a sudden there are three claps.
"Here we go girls." Miss Abby yells.
We all gather around her and then I go to the front as she takes a seat. "Alright guys it's hard to do this without my partner in crime. So Meadow get up here." Meadow gets up and joins me. "Okay. So this a duet but I think we can make a few adjustments. Here we go. Start in the sitting position with your knees to your chest." We run through the dance and before I know it, it's time to go. I hug Maddie and Mackenzie and Meadow exchange numbers. Then we are off to the mall.
We walk around for what feels like two seconds when I see the dress. It's a blush pink with long floral sleeves with an open back. "That's the one." I say as I stare at it with my face presses up against the window.
"Are you sure." Mom asks.
I nod, Mom , Corrbin and I go in, while Dad and Meadow go for ice cream.