Chapter 14

River's POV
It's crazy how a fifth of vodka is able to make me hate my life. This morning was horrible. I've thrown up four times. My head is throbbing, it's like a volcano went off inside my skull. Mom, is packing everything up. My dress and Corbin's tuxedo have been shipped to the house. I leave tonight.
"River?" Dad knocks on the door.
"Yeah." I say. He comes in and sits on guns bed. He sighs, "what's up?"
"You're grounded. No phone of tv for a month."
"Really, what about Meadow?"
"I'm not talking to Meadow. Im talking to you. This has nothing to with the argument that happened last night. It is about the fact that you ran away and used the credit card on things you didn't need. On top of that you used the card for alcohol. I need that credit card back. It's become obvious that you can't handle the responsibility."
"Fine. Are you done?"
He sighs again, "yeah." He leaves but before he does he takes my phone and laptop.
I sit on the bed. I'm bored and hungry. I take a shower and then go to the kitchen. Luckily for me dad made bacon, eggs, and pancakes: I pile up my plate and scarf it down. Mom, Dad and Meadow all stare at me. I belt her and the. I look at them, "What?"
"You're eating a lot." Mom says.
"Yeah. So?"
"Okay." She says shaking her head.
"Okay. I'm going to the gym, bye."
I go and change into running shorts and a tank top. I slam the door as I leave. Then, I make my down to the hotel gym. When I get there Cameron is running on a treadmill. I smile to myself. I get in the one next to him, but he doesn't notice me.
When he finally looks over, he realizes it is me and smiles. "Hey." I whisper.
"Hey." He chuckles.
"What are you doing here?"
"Free gym. My mom had a conference and I need to work out. She won't pay for a membership for a gym so I get to use the ones at hotels. You?"
"Training for cross country."
"Oh, cool. How many miles are you running?"
"Three." He nods and I finish my training. It's almost lunch time and I'm feeling much better. I look at him and he's smiling at me, " What?" I giggle.
"I can't believe I'm in the same room as you."
"Stop, I'm not anything." I say looking down.
"You're the most amazing person I've ever seen. When you dance I can feel your emotion. When you sing it takes my breath away. You are a force to be reckoned with. You have this rawness in your work that my boyfriend and I love. I don't even think you realize how you are changing the world as we know it. We love you for your talent."
"I love all my fans and my work. I'm so happy that I can impact your life the way I have. It's so crazy that six months ago I was just a scared little orphan girl that no one wanted l and know I have people recognizing me."
"I hope that you will learn that you are iconic and every way. I can't even imagine what it is like to be you." He says and I blush. His phone chimes and he checks it. "Mom says her meeting is over. It's crazy I got to see you again. I'm so happy I got to see you again. I've got to go."
We hug and he takes off. I go back  to the room and shower. I let the warm water hit me as Cameron's word run through my mind. I love that I have made an impact, but at the same time I'm lonely. I look at my wrist and see the lines. Then Meadow's voice is screaming at me. "I fucking hate you!" I take a deep breath. I trace the lines, "no one ever wanted you!" I sit down. I begin to get dizzy as Cameron's words and Meadow's chase each other.
"River, are you okay?" Mom asks through the door.
"Yeah." I say as I turn off the water.
"Okay."
I climb out of the shower and look myself in the eyes, "four month, nothing is worth breaking that." I whisper to myself. I change into my pajamas and lay on the bed and color. After thirty minutes I get bored again. I pour out all the bags off clothes from yesterday onto the bed.  I turn on the alarm clock radio and begin my fashion show for myself. I change over and over as I dance to the music into the mirror.
I put on my fourth outfit and prance over to the mirror. That's when I see the flash of camera and Mom's giggle. She walks over to the clock and turns it off. I sigh and slump down on the bed. "Having fun?" She asks smiling.
I stare at her blankly, "I was." I say bluntly.
She looks hurt, frowning a little, putting on her serious Mom face. "Oh. Well, I wanted to talk to you about the plan."
"The plan? For who?"
"You, Meadow, the family."
I chuckle, "the family." I mutter, rolling my eyes.
Mom looks at me, "anyways, here's what's going to happen. Meadow is staying with us. Marisa is packing her stuff for tour. You're grounded, but you are still allowed to go to homecoming and the after party. That's the only time you will have your phone. Otherwise, everything will stay the same: school, tutoring, dance. Everything will be okay."
"Okay." I say.
"Can I join you?" She asks.
"What?"
"Your fashion show?"
"Sure." I shrug, "don't invite Meadow." I say sternly.
"She's not here." She says as she runs off and comes back with hangers of clothes. I turn the radio back on and we dance. Mom takes out her phone and we take pictures and videos.
While I'm taking a video of Mom, her phone vibrates with a notification from TMZ, about me. I open it.
'River Lovato-Jonas, cheating with strange boy?!'
I stop and stare at the headline. I stroll further, "River Lovato-Jonas, daughter of Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas. River was thought to be dating Corrbin Chandler, long time boyfriend. Is it over between the two? Scroll down for more about the singer/dancer.'
Mom turns off the radio, "what's wrong?"
"I-I..." I begin to panic.
"Breathe." I read on,
"Daughter like mother? Is River Lovato-Jonas going down the same dangerous path as her mother?"
Below are pictures of the woman handing me the bottle of vodka, "stop reading that!" Mom says snatching the phone away.
I drop to the floor and begin to cry, "I have to call Corrbin." I cry hysterically.
"Okay. Breathe. One."
"No, counting. I need to talk to him now!" I snap hiccuping.
"Okay." She runs out and grabs my phone. I can hear dad rush through the hotel door.
"Did you see it?" He asks.
"No, but she did. She has to call Corrbin."
Dad follows Mom into the room. She hands me my phone and I dial his number. He answers, "did you really kiss him?" He asks panting like he's been pacing.
"No!" I scream, "no, I would never!"
"It says you did." He snaps.
"Corrbin, I would never. Please believe me. I love you."
"What- what did you do?"
"We talked. I hugged him, he's a fan. He's a fan of us, of our relationship."
He sighs, "I believe you, baby."
"You- you do?"
"Yes, I guess this is karma for the kiss at the meet and greet."
"I was just so scared you would hate me. I'm so sorry. I'll be better."
"Okay, babe you need to breathe. Listen to me. Just because we may not agree about some of the things you do. Believe this: I love you, from the moment I laid eyes on you, I believed we would be together through thick and thin. When things get rough, look at your ring. That ring is what we are no matter what."
"Okay. I'm sorry."
"It's okay, I love you. Now, count with me. One."
"Two."
"Three."
"Four." I crawl into bed.
"Five."
Six." I take a deep breathe and whisper, "is this going to work? You and me?"
"Yes, we just have to work through everything together. We will get through this. I promise that."
I sigh and close my eyes, "thank you."
That's when I hear his mom hear his mom scream, "LEAVE!"
"Give me my daughter!" A man yells. I assume it's Corrbin's dad.
"Take a nap. I've got to go. I love you. Forever."
"Okay. I love you, too." We hang up and I take a deep breath. Mom lays next to me and I breathe in her scent.
"Better."
"A lot."
I snuggle into her and fall asleep.