Chapter thirteen

Chapter thirteen

            It took a couple of days for Marshall to come to his senses about Jake and decided to give him a chance. I on the other hand was open-minded and trust Hailie to make the right decsions. Marshall sat in the living room watching TV. I could tell he was nervous, just by the way he concentrated so hard on the TV. I sat next to him, a little uncomfortable with his stare.

“Are you nervous or are you trying to make the TV move?” I said. Marshall’s concentration broke as he gave a half smile and a chuckle.

            “Mom, Dad! I’m home” Hailie said, her voice echoing in the house. I suddenly heard a hard sigh coming from Marshall. I placed my hand on his, “give him a chance!” I growled softly. Hailie stood in front of the TV along with a young man with striking blue eyes and short dark brown hair. He wore baggy, boot cut jeans but I made a note that he did not show any underwear. He even wore a belt with the jeans. And a beautiful green shirt, I was takened back by how he was properly dressed.

            “Mom, dad…this is Jake…um Jake this is my mother Natalia and my dad Marshall” Hailie had a hint of nervousness in her voice.

“Very nice to meet you, Jake” I said, shaking the boy’s hand. “Nice to meet you too, ma’am” he said.

“Ma’am? No, it’s Natalia” I said playfully. His smiled beamed, but he was nervous.

            “Very nice to meet you, Jake” Marshall said clearing his throat several times. “You too, sir” said Jake. It didn’t seem to phase him that he was only inches away from Eminem. He suddenly became nervous when Marshall stood up. But it wasn’t because it was Eminem it was because Marshall showed great hostile towards him. He removed his hand from the boy’s real quickly and put both hands in his pocket, leaving an awkward moment.

            Hailie cleared her throat, “Is it ok if I show Jake around?” I suddenly felt that I didn’t own the house anymore and I turned to Marshall for an answer. His eyes widen as he cleared his throat again. He looked at the kids and said,

“Yes, you can show him around…just no closed doors.” Hailie smiled and took Jake by the hand and went upstairs.

            A sudden relief came over Marshall and me, following a strong awkwardness. “Well…he seems like a nice boy” I said. Marshall stood silently, almost like he was in some sort of pain. Marshall was never good with meeting new people and it will take some time for him to warm up to Jake. I should know…it was the same with me.

--

“Good morning, Detroit it is Monday morning November 1st. Dress warmly this morning it will be in the low 40s very rare for this time of year but-“ I turned the alarm off as I rose out of bed. I kissed Marshall on the cheek several times.

“Honey” I said. He groaned.

“Come on honey, wake up” I said. I crawled out of bed and into the bathroom leaving Marshall to sleep.

            Once I was dressed and about ready to leave I realized Marshall was suppose too bring the kids to school today. “Honey, are you still bring the kids to school today?” I asked, struggling to put on my pumps. Marshall was fast asleep; he would usually be up with me.

            “Marshall!” I said, louder. He quickly jumped out of bed, “What?” he said.

“Are you bring the kids to school?” I asked annoyed. “Yeah” he moaned annoyed as well. I wasn’t asking much expect to do his part with the two we have left.