Chapter nineteen

Chapter nineteen

Marshall’s P.O.V

            “Ay yo, this is Marshall…umm it’s Thanksgiving day um, November 24th as you all know…I’m about to take you on a tour of my home and how Thanksgiving has been with my wife and kids…so…here we go”. I stuck my hand through the little camera pocket and made my way down the staircase. There was no smell of a turkey or any food being made. Is Natalia up yet?

            “Talia” I shouted, my voice echoing throughout the house. I reached downstairs and found her sitting at the kitchen table with her coffee cup in both hands. Her head was slightly down as if she was crying. I removed the camera from my eye to find out what was wrong with my wife.

            “Oh Marshall…” she cried, she was most certainly crying. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she whispered. Oh, God no, she found out about that night.

“Honey, listen you have to believe me…I didn’t take it I swear” I said, almost begging her to believe me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she sobbed, placing her hand over her mouth.

“Baby please listen to me…” I begged almost crying.

            She starred at a picture of me, it made me question does she know I’m right here? What can I do? My own wife…my everything and I screwed it up. Kim was right. I’m nothing. I’m the troublemaker. Feeling this was the end of my marriage I got on my knees next to her and cuffed my hands together.

            “Please, please” I begged, “Please you gotta believe me…” I cried. She didn’t even glimpse at me. She didn’t even know I was there, but I still continued to beg for her mercy.

“Please…please…” I begged, louder and louder. I banged my fist and cried.

            “Please!” I cried, sitting up in my bed. My body was covered in a terrible sweat and my heart pounded rapidly. It was just a dream. Oh God, I gotta fix this mess or my marriage will be its grave. I wipe my face with my free hand.

            Ronnie crept into my room and jumped on my bed, he caused the bed to bounce slightly.

“Dad!” he shouted. He slouched into my lap and curled under my arms.

“Happy Thanksgiving” he said. I smiled “Happy Thanksgiving” I hugged him. He placed a kiss on my cheek and left the room; I still sat in bed.

            The urge did not come to me like it normal does in the mornings and I felt great. I felt like I had a great night with Talia. I felt…new. A smile came onto my face the urge was gone, I thought. It was gone! Like a little kid, I started to bounce up and down on my bed; landing on the bed laughing to myself.

            I pulled on a pair of gray sweat pants and rushed downstairs, the smell of stuffing and pumpkin pie filled the entire house. The sounds of many women talking came from the kitchen. As I peaked in slowly; to my surprise was my mother and my beautiful wife. It felt like years since I’ve seen my mother.

            “Mom” I said softly. My mother smiled pleasantly and placed a kiss on my cheek.

“Hello honey” she said. I smiled to myself as I felt my father’s arm wrap around me.

“Well, hello you sleepy head” my dad said. I smiled pleasantly knowing I don’t see my parents a lot.

“Grandpa, Grandpa!” Ronnie shouted, pulling my father’s arm.

“Santa’s comin! Santa’s coming!” I realized more people were in the living room and somewhat in their PJs.

            “Natalia did Marshall wake up…yet” Renee said, stepping out from the half bathroom. “Yeah, he just did”. Renee greeted me hello and wished me a Happy Thanksgiving. Nelson, Renee’s now husband was sitting in the living room with my father and the kids.

“You see Santa yet, Ron?” shouted Natalia. Ronnie was fixed on the TV too much to answer.

“Not yet mommy” my father answered.

            “Grandpa Nelson, did you see that?” said Ronnie, jumping up and down.

“Not yet buddy” said Nelson. It annoyed me slightly that Ronnie called Nelson grandpa, as long as it doesn’t bug Natalia.

--

            “Did you talk to Marshall?” asked Debbie. Sadly, “No” I said.

“I know my son…he would never ever use drugs especially now he has you” said Debbie.

“Natalia, I raised you better than this! Talk to him!” my mother exclaimed, stirring mash potatoes.

“Look, I don’t believe Marshall is on drugs…there is no proof of it…but if I see any signs I will confront him” I said, putting nutmeg on the pumpkin pie.

            Looking at Marshall playing with Ronnie made the suspense ease even more. A smile came onto my face and small, burning tears strolled down my face. That is when I realized I was chopping onions! The horrid of it, it made my eyes burn and turn red.

“Hello?” A familiar voice shouted through- out the house. The house became so quiet; you could hear a pin drop. The sweet, sweet voice that I have missed so; the door closed and shut awkwardly as bags were put on the floor.

            “Laney” I whispered. I turned around and saw her stand in the doorway. She was dressed in warmer clothes her smiled beamed and it brightened the room.

“Hello, mama” said Laney. I was completely speechless, “I thought you weren’t coming home for Thanksgiving” I whimpered.

“I made it” she said, excitement upon tears of joy builds up in her throat.

            Marshall came up from behind her and gave her a hug. She quickly embraced Marshall into her arms as if he rose from the dead.

“Whitney, Laney’s home” Hailie shouted rushing downstairs. Hailie embraced Laney into her arms. Whitney followed after her, finding room in Laney’s other arm.

“Laney” Ronnie rushed over, clinging to her leg. Laney was overwhelmed with her welcome by her siblings. A few tears streamed down my face as I joined the family in hugging Laney.

            After an argument with my mother about having Christmas in New Jersey at the dinner table, I had no choice but to say yes.

“Oh, Aunt Sophia, will be there too!” said Renee. My heart dropped instantly, my food suddenly stopped in my throat as sweats began to pour from my head.

“Not Aunt Sophia!” I exclaimed.

“Oh come on, Talia, Aunt Sophia loves you!” my mother said, putting mash potatoes on her plate.

“Ma, the women had pinchers of steal, you remember that time she bruised my cheek when she pinched it?” my voice rose as I heard Marshall S.R. chuckle across the table.

            “More please, Grandma Renee” said Whitney. Mom continued to put potatoes on Whit’s plate.

“Natalia, cisza” Natalia hush, my mother said, giving me a dead look. Whenever my mother told me that especially in Polish it meant I crossed the line. I would have to grin and bear the fact Great-Aunt Sophia will be there.

            Marshall sat quietly most of the time eating, his head was held down slightly not making any eye contact with the family or making conversations. Debbie even noticed his behavior being odd. On holidays Marshall would be the life of the party. He would sit at the end of the able with my step-father and his father talking about football and occasionally he would glimpse at me and smile. It was not just a smile though, it read ‘thank you’.

            This year Marshall was different, he didn’t ask for another scoop of yams or another piece of turkey. He just ate the little on his plate and sat there quietly as everyone finished. The more I hear about the rumors and see the changes in Marshall’s attitude the more it made me worry, I just can’t ask him if he is using, I just can’t do it. I’m going have to wait until I really do see an obvious change. I just hope, really do I hope, that when the obvious does show, I’m not too late.