Chapter forty-nine

Chapter forty-nine

Hailie’s P.O.V

            “Hailie do you want to come over after school?” Kara asked, slamming the locker shut. “Nah, can’t going to see my dad after school…” I said.

“But that place an hour away…” she said as we strolled down the hall. I turned to her and plainly said, “I know.” I took the next bus up to the mountain. I was hesitant about it first, I made sure that Whitney was silent about it, knowing if she told Laney, she will tell mom and I would be in bigger trouble. I was uncomfortable and unsure the entire ride up there. I even had the bus driver reinsure me that I was going the right way.

The facility was nothing that I expected. It actually looked pretty nice. I don’t know if they’ll let me in, considering if they ask me who my father is and my age. I took my chance though. Maybe if I get lucky my father will notice me if I would be asked to leave. I secured my backpack over my shoulder and glided inside, removing my headphones from my ears. The place smelt of mangos, kind of weird since it was up in the mountains and in the middle of winter.

            “Hi, I’m here to visit my father…” I said. “Who is your father, dear?” the receptionist asked.

I purced my lips together, “Marshall Mathers…” I said, she did not give it a second thought as she glided through a list of names.

“Ahh, yes, Mr. Mathers is currently in therapy right now…he’ll be out pretty shortly” she said. The thought of my dad being in therapy made me feel uncomfortable.

“Well, what can I do till then?” I asked.

“You can wait here or go to his room…if I know the man that’s normally where he goes…”

            I had a wild idea, the women is careless about the information she gives and clueless at who she gives it to. I could be a wild fan trying to figure out what is going on with Eminem and she would not notice. I glared at her, biting on my lower lip hoping she is what I think she is.

“How-How is he doing in therapy?”

“I cannot say, young lady that is not my department…” she said. “Ah.” I paced the hall impaciently humming to a song I’m listening to on my IPod. The volume was low enough so I could watch the tone of my voice.

            I turned around to make my one-hundredth trip back to the left, when a man in a black tank top and gray basketball shorts came strolling out of what looks like a pool area. I knew right away it was my dad. A smile came onto my face as I shouted,

“Dad!” He searched the room frantically looking for me. He recognized my voice. He turned his head to the left and smiled widely at me. Like a child, I ran up to him, opening my arms to him. I almost knock him to the ground, as the impact moved him back a couple of inches.

            “Hey baby!” He said, lively. His arms wrapped around me and smelt like clorne. “What a surprise!” He said. I smiled brightly at him,

“I didn’t expect to see you here!” He said. “Where is everybody else?”

My smiled disappeared, “Oh, no one…” I thought hard on the consequnces that will come when I was about to say my next thought.

“No one knows I’m here…” I said. My dad’s smile grew slightly small, “Not even Laney?”

“Not even…I just want it to be me and you for a while” I said. “Honey, mom must be worried sick about you…” he said sighing.

“I have a phone…she has a phone…there is no worry” I said with tension and anger.

            My dad sigh, taking me back to his room. It reminded me of his office, a desk full of paper with scribbled words on it and some pinned on the walls and pictures of Laney, Whitney, Ronnie and Me on the walls. My dad’s favorite picture of mom sat in the right hand corner of his desk.