Chapter twenty-seven

            After today, I don’t feel quite like myself, my nails feel heavy and they sting when I touch them. The breeze traveled down my neck sending chills throughout my body from the hair cut the girls made me get. My long hair was now the length of my ears. It was hard to pull off a face of a good time around the girls. I can only imagine what Marshall will say.

            When we approached the house and opened the door, I heard Ronnie shout, “No, fair!” His tone of voice sent chills down my spine, what could’ve happened now? When I heard Marshall’s laughter I knew I had no worry. I started to breathe again letting out a relief sigh.

“Mommy’s home” Marshall shouted, sending Ronnie to run out of the hallway and into my arms.

“Mommy” he cooed, feeling my son in my arms was such a relief. Hailie started upstairs and into her room, not minding Marshall.

“Is she still mad at me?” Marshall questioned. I nodded sadly, seeing Marshall’s head go down and a frown on his face appeared. Oh, I hate to see him like that. It broke my heart; I don’t know what I can even say that only a daughter will make a difference.

            “Ronnie, go and play honey” I said, sadly. Ronnie ran back into the living room and put on the TV.

Marshall and I stood a couple of inches apart and waited for one of us to say something. Marshall kept still with head still down and his hands in his pockets. This situation with Hailie bothered him more than anything.

            “Maybe, I should tell her I’m sorry and try to talk to her…” he mumbled. “You could” I whispered, hoping Ronnie won’t hear much. I began removing my wool cap and trench coat and placing it on the coat rack.

“Woah” Marshall exclaimed. I knew what he saw, my short hair. I didn’t know if it was a good sign or bad and I froze in my steps.

“You like it?” I asked, not looking him in the eye. He tousled my strains in between his fingers; examining it.

“Well…it’s new” he said, “its beautiful baby, just like you” he said giving me a kiss on the cheek. I smiled slightly as he went back into the living room.

            He hates it I knew it, my self-esteem went down instantly as I tied my hair into a bun which Marshall is use too seeing me in. And I walked upstairs to change into comfortable clothes. I heard Ronnie and Marshall playing down stairs from my room.

“Did Ronnie, do all his homework?” I shouted from upstairs.

“Yeah!”

“All checked and neat?” I shouted back.

“Yeah, honey”

            I gave myself a quick glimpse in the mirror to see if I still feel the same way about myself. My new cover up seemed to cover me up well. I looked a couple years younger, my short wavy hair took away all my lines and tired looking face. As I examined my face closer, I realized something on my face, too dark to see in the shadow mirror. I turned the bright light and to my shock, my entire face looked old and tired. Nothing I did today worked.

--

Marshall’s P.O.V

            What made Natalia get that haircut? Usually she would go on if she could get one or not and if so, what kind of cut should she get. And it usually ends up her keeping her hair the same way…usually. Maybe this time she really wanted it. I’m gonna miss that long hair, but she seemed afraid I wasn’t going to like it, how she kept her head down and afraid to look at me. I don’t care what she does to her hair, I love her as long as she happy I’m happy.