Chapter forty-four

Chapter forty-four

               After Marshall left a deep sadness set in to me. I was alone in the room. I was too far away from the nurses to at least reinsure myself that human voices were just across me. I was not even sure if I could get up and walk. Slowly I moved my stiff legs out of bed. I bended them feeling a sharpe relief shoot through them. Slowly, I started to get up from the bed, putting my left foot in front of my right foot, I realized I have taken my first three steps in two days. I smiled to myself as I moved about the room. After about two walks in the room, I had strength back into my legs.

               Feeling the draft from the gown in the back of me, I quickly changed into better fitting clothes that Marshall brought over. I got back into bed feeling the deep sadness take over again. It brought me to tears practically. I haven’t talk to my children in days. Do they know I’m alright? Does my mother know what happened? Does Debbie know what happened? Does the world know? As far as I’m concerned, the world has been reading printed lies for about a half a year.

               As I wiped tears from my face, I thought of my bed at home with Marshall. I started to think of how Ronnie is driving himself crazy not knowing where I’m. If it wasn’t for the pain killers I would’ve heard from my kids. Did they call Marshall while I was asleep? Did he say I’m sorry kids, mom is sleeping? It was the little things at home that made me homesick. The lamps in the hall way, the fluffy couch in the basement, even the stupid sliding doors I missed.

               “Well, look who is up and about…” came the doctor. I half smiled at him, as he examined me.

“Any pain?” He asked. “No, not really…”

“Within the next day you will be ready to go home…” he said cheerfully. I smiled at him, but my troubles were far from over. Marshall had to find some help for himself. I don’t understand how Vincent could possibly know Marshall was having problems, but he only added on to his misery.

               It dawned on me, where was Vincent? What happened to him? Is he alive? It scared me that I probably committed a murder. I was exactly like my father in a way.

“Excuse me…” I asked the doctor.

“What happened to me when I black out?” I asked.

The doctor explained everything as if he saw it firsthand.

               After I black out, people from the building came to see what the commotion was about. The way it looked from Kim and me, Vincent attacked us and out of self-defense I was able to beat him to death.  Yeah, sure lets go with that. The police and paramedics came, Kim got away with a few stiches. And she was able to call Marshall to tell him what happened. How much could he know? I felt relieved Kim was ok and I’m grateful to have her help to put my life back together.

               “No charges will be held against you, Mrs. Mathers” the doctor said.

“That is odd…even out of self-defense charges would be…” I said, by now my father would’ve taken his pointer and thumb and clamp my lips together.

“Well, Mrs. Mathers, back in your hometown, Newark he was wanted for forge crimes…also crimes against social civilization” he said.

“Social civilization?”

“Yes, out to destroy businesses and lives by social media.” “No, worries now he won’t be a problem anymore…Personally I think you are hero.”

--

               A quarter to eight, as I finally found something to keep me occupied, the phone in the room began to ring. A motherly feeling told me that it was my family.