Chapter 70

Malarie's POV

A couple of days later

Jason and I silently sit next to each other in the courtroom, patiently and anxiously waiting for the judge to return with some good news for us. After two very long months, we are finally going to see if we will be granted full custody over Joel or not. I just hope and pray that we do; that's my baby and I don't want to lose him. I'm not sure how our family would live without him there. I could just imagine Jason's behavior; he doesn't play when it comes to someone or something he loves.

You may be wondering why we would ever have doubts, or such thoughts of not getting custody over Joel. At first we didn't, although now we do. Not only does Benny– Christine's boyfriend– want full custody over Joel, but now the judge is pulling out Jason's criminal past as well. I guess Christine had signed some paperwork in regards to her potential death, leaving both her sons to Benny. He being only her oldest son, Dylan's father. He has no type of blood relation to Joel, yet he wants to have custody over him. No way in hell will I let that happen; he doesn't even know how to take care of his own kid. Sorry Dylan, but it's true.

"I'm nervous." Jase mumbles beside me, not once stopping his worried leg bounces. "It's going to be okay, it all will work out for our good. He's our son, Jason. He will always be our son no matter what." I try to assure him, yet it doesn't seem like he believes anything I'm saying.

"I'm an ex-felon, Malarie." He sneers underneath his breath angrily, but I do not hold his anger against him. "You're right, you are an ex-felon. Keyword: ex, meaning before, not anymore; old news." I softly rub my hand over his kneecap, looking him dead in his eyes as I reply to him honestly.

He goes to say something else, but the sound of the court doors being opened up stops him all at once. That jerk Benny, then strolls inside wearing a huge fake smile on his stupid looking face. As if he knew we were already looking his way, he turns towards Jase and I shooting us that same fake big smile he had walking in. He even has the nerve to shoot me a cocky wink, as well as wiggling his tongue at me. I literally had to hold Jason down from beating him to death, all because of his vulgar gestures towards me.

Instead of giving him the attention he practically craves from us, Jase and I simply ignore his childish behavior– well mostly me, but I demand for Jase to pay him no mind

Instead of giving him the attention he practically craves from us, Jase and I simply ignore his childish behavior– well mostly me, but I demand for Jase to pay him no mind. I refuse to let him win custody over Joel, all because he and Jase gotten into an altercation inside of the courtroom. Nope, that's not going to happen. He's not taking my baby away from his family he loves so very much.

"He's pissing me the hell off." My husband mumbles in irritation, rubbing over his face fiercely. "Don't pay any attention to him; just ignore him. He just wants to get you all fired up and react physically; don't fall for it." I remind him of Benny's clear plan, not wanting anything to be the cause of us losing Joel to that unfit man.

I'm not just saying that either. It wasn't just Christine being nasty and not really mother like for her children. It was Benny as well, and he knows it. In fact, it was his apartment filled with disgusting roaches and unhealthy living circumstances. It's all on file; I made sure to tell our lawyer to investigate his living conditions, while he's worried about ours. Everything is fine on our end, it's just Jason's priors with the law.