Chapter 2

OK...so I decided t oupload the next chapter. Let me know what you all think!! Feedback is much appreciated :)

*****************************************************************************************************************

        The barracks for the humans in the Volturi lair were impossibly small and smelt dirty and metallic. It was located at the farthest end of the whole lair where we wouldn’t disturb or “tempt” the vampires living here. It was the only place here that wasn’t scrubbed down on a daily basis. The other solitary place that could almost compete in unsanitary conditions is the torture chambers where servants would get punished. It was cleaned every three days depending on the amount of torturing that has taken place. The barrack’s walls were made of the same stone as the rest of the rooms belonging to the Volturi except dirt was visible on them. The floors were almost black compared to the beige color they appeared when it was cleaned spotlessly.

        Servants were given no shoes except when taken out of the lair which isn’t very often. There were no windows considering we were underneath the city and only small lamps illuminated the room enough to see where to walk. The walls were lined with beds for all the servants. There was barely enough room between each bed to walk. Only a pillow and thin sheets covered the beds making sleeping unimaginable during the winter when the stone walls held no heat. About twenty servants all occupied the one room which meant practically no privacy or space but who needs privacy as a servant? We are all in the same position and are never given anything worth having privacy for. If this was an actual home, we would have all been picked up long ago by child services and sent to better homes but we were stuck here. If the vampires didn’t kill us first, some disease probably would.

         I had the bed closest to the door which was always guarded by at least one Volturi guard. I sat with my back against the wall while I was on my bed. My knees were curled up to my chest with my arms around them and I rested my chin on them. The other servants never approached me. On the rare occasion that one was brave enough or new to servant hood, I would tell them to go away in not so nice of words. I didn’t really mind being by myself because I knew they’d be gone in a month or two once the Volturi grew tired of them or just hungry.

        As I looked around the room, the other servants had gathered in small groups and were spread out throughout the room, not that they could go far. I could vaguely hear the chatter of the different groups. One group of all girls were talking about the ‘hotness’ of some of the vampires and werewolves with the Cullens. That had been over a month ago, yet here they were talking about them still. It was rather amusing that people could be thrown into the direst of circumstances and they manage to still converse about material things. Did they not understand the position they were in? Perhaps they haven’t been here long enough for it to actually sink in that they weren’t leaving, to see what was inevitable for all of them. I knew. I had seen thousands of human like them pass through here. It would only be a short amount of time before they too were replaced. When that time comes, it won’t matter which boy was cuter. I turn my attention to the group closest to me. It was made up of the most recent recruits.

        “We’ll have to try to escape during the day since they don’t go out into the sun because it’d expose them,” one human boy that I hadn’t bothered to learn the name of whispered to the group. I snorted loudly at the idea of actually trying to escape. My outburst caused the group to look at me and the rest of the chatter in the room to cease. “What,” the same boy asked slightly annoyed.

        “Are you really that stupid?” I inquire looking him straight in the eye. He shrunk back from me. He knew not to mess with me.

        “It could work,” a girl beside him said confidently. I stood swiftly and approached the group who looked at me with wide, scared eyes.