Chapter 27

Hello all you readers out there! Not much to say tonight except sorry for the late post but it's an update so there you go haha. I end my online class this week so I will hopefully have more time to write :D  Oh and FYI, I think there are only 3 chapters left. I can't believe it!!!

Anywho, let me know what you think in the comments below and don't forget to vote.

******************************************************************************************************************

I kept my expression blank as I looked at the leaders of the Volturi. I didn’t want them to see how scared I was even though the steadily rising pace of my heart would have been easy for them to hear beating in my chest. I stood rigid, my muscles so tense that it was almost painful but I gritted my teeth and waited for the trial to continue.

Aro walked around me slowly. His eyes scrutinized me. I wasn’t sure what he was looking for exactly but I stood completely still. Caius narrowed his eyes at me, his lips a thin line. He never liked the idea of sending me so he was probably thrilled at my failure. It’s just another opportunity to prove he was right. Marcus looked bored as usual. His eyes were more focused on Aro than on me. It seemed like nothing had changed during my absence. Everyone came out of this situation the same except for me.

“You look good Lamia considering the circumstances,” Aro exclaimed with a smile as he came to a stop in front of me. I barely contained myself from rolling my eyes at his attempt at keeping up formalities with me. I was his prisoner. I was on trial for treason. Why make small talk?

“The circumstances being the torture and the filthy room I have been kept in since my arrival,” I stated with my face blank and my voice monotone. I saw Caius narrow his eyes even more until they were practically just slits. However, Aro just chuckled obviously amused with me.

“I have to say that I have missed your spirit these few months but let’s get to why we are actually here shall we?” Aro said turning back and walking back toward his seat, where he took his position in between Caius and Marcus.

“Jane, please tell us your findings from your visit to visit Lamia in Forks,” Marcus drawled, sparing a glance her way. She nodded her head and stepped to stand in front of me but facing the leaders.

“As explained a few weeks ago, when I arrived to Lamia’s house I found a few pictures that had been taken and a few entries in a journal that she was keeping but it hadn’t been touched in weeks. It was my observation that she, in fact, hasn’t done any research for us,” she said. She turned her head to look at me but I didn’t meet her eyes. I kept my eyes ahead of me. “Furthermore, she was seen spending an extraordinary part of time with one of the mutts. I would say that she was in love with him,” she continued.

I clenched my teeth together and fists formed at my sides at the mention of Embry. Had she been watching me the whole time? Would they go after Embry now? I couldn’t let that happen. Punish me, not him.

“What can you see about this Marcus?” Caius asked him, turning to look at him. I knew that Marcus had the power to distinguish people’s relationships but I never imagined him using it on me. For the first time since I walked into the room, Marcus’s dark eyes landed on me. It didn’t look like he was doing anything but staring at me. If I didn’t know he was using his power, I would have thought nothing of his glance.

“They are what the mutts call imprints,” Marcus replied. His tone bored like this information was nothing of importance. The Volturi knew little about the pack or imprints so I wasn’t surprised to see confusion flit across their expressions before going back to normal. I smiled on the inside at the action.