Chapter 4

Ok so of course I have dedicated this chapter to JBlover113!! First one to comment on this story so this one is for you.

We start school this time and maybe Embry will find out if Lamia is really his imprint or not. You'll have to read on to find out. It also starts out in Lamia's POV but don't worry, we hear from Embry as well. Let me know what you think!!! :)

************************************************************************************************************

School.

        I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least a little bit on edge about today. More like a lot. I was prepared though as much as I could be. I know what I’m doing for the most part but what if it’s not enough? I like to think that I’m a smart girl but what if the material was far to advance for me? What if the wolves and Cullens suspect something? I shouldn’t be so concerned I suppose but this was my life at stake here. I have to blend in and get the information the Volturi demanded of me. I had no say in the matter. But the thing I was most on edge about was actually associating with the other teenagers. I’d been distant from others for so long. I knew not to get close to anyone and I should have the same attitude here. These people were not my friends. After a few months, I’d be out of here and no one would think twice. I just need to keep my distance.

        The warm day yesterday is now a fading memory as I walk toward the school building. Clouds covered the once blue sky and the sun was nowhere to be found. The wind blew constantly against my body making the already low temperature feel below freezing. Luckily it wasn’t raining at the moment but it could start at any minute. I pulled my jacket tighter around me as I walked through the parking lot. Glancing around, I can tell three things. One, everybody was staring in my direction. They literally stopped their conversations to look. If I was a different person, I might have found this flattering but to be honest, it was slightly irritating. Two, the Cullens and the shape-shifters are standing in their groups. They were separate but they were basically right next to each other. A quick count let me know that the whole pack wasn’t present but all the Cullen kids that still remained in high school were here. And the last thing I could tell…they just spotted me.

         I tried to keep to keep my composure. I took deep breaths so my heart didn’t accelerate. I shot sideways glances in their direction every few seconds to see if they were still watching me. They were. I wasn’t sure why. I didn’t look any different from the other humans walking through the lot. All I had on was a pair of jeans, tennis shoes, a T-shirt with a Bears logo since my story is I moved from Chicago, and a plain black jacket. My hair was put up in a messy bun. It didn’t start out that I way but that’s what wind will do for you. So as far as I was concerned, I wasn’t standing out. Yet here they were still looking at me. Scrutinizing me. Sizing me up. Maybe it was because I was new. Forks wasn’t use to new people.

        I was almost completely by them when one of the pack members turned around from his previous position with his back to me. It surprised me so much that I stopped almost in a defense stance. He had been one of the boys at the beach yesterday. He was the youngest looking one of the boys that were playing football. He gave me a weird look. It was like he was remembering something. Maybe he saw me at the beach but whatever it was, I didn’t want to stick around to find out. I put my head down and sped up my walk until I was practically sprinting past them into the building.

The building smelled of floor polish and whatever odors were emitting from the boy’s bathroom. Along the hallways were lockers that had an ugly teal color to them. They weren’t very big but it was more than I can say I’ve ever had. Looking back now, this was nothing like I thought high school would be like when I was seven. Before I was taken, my parents would drive by the high school in my old town on the way to drop me off at my own school. Every time we passed, I would look out the window. It looked like the paradise of school. Everything just seemed better and nicer. Forks High School was not the dream. The halls were crowded and I was getting pushed back and forth. It was a miracle I didn’t get pushed down or that I even found my locker in the sea of teenagers.