Chapter 5

Ok so I'm uploading faster than I thought I would! It helps that I'm on spring break so maybe I can update some more. Who knows?! I hope everyone is enjoying :)

***********************************************************************************************************

       Crap, crap, crap, I thought. After eating my lunch by myself, I got up to leave for class early. I tried to steal glances at the Cullens or the pack but I couldn’t do it much because they were watching me. It put me a little on edge. I ate my lunch quickly and got out of there. But as luck would have it, I ran into someone. That someone just happens to be the one person that I’m purposely avoiding. Embry.

       When I looked up into his eyes, they held wonder and concern. Concern for what? Me? That can’t be right. I needed to get away from him. I jumped from his arms. It wasn’t because of the heat. I knew that the shape-shifters ran hotter than regular humans not that I expected to get close enough to tell. I moved away from him because I was scared. For the few moments he held me, I felt safe if that was even possible. I didn’t feel the cold sting like I would if anyone else touched me. I couldn’t be feeling that way though. I just couldn’t.

       “I’m sorry. I should’ve looked where I was going,” he said letting his arms fall to his sides. His eyes stayed on me and I had to break the intense eye contact.

       “Yeah you should have,” I snap. I could make out that he was frowning but I couldn’t help it. I had been snappy ever since I started working for the Volturi. It was my defense mechanism to keep people away and as much as my heart was trying to betray me, I couldn’t get close to anyone. Especially not Embry.

       I looked away from him to see a Cullen and pack member, Edward and Jacob. Jacob I knew from pictures but I remember Edward from the meadow. He was, of course, a big participant since it was his daughter we were coming to kill. They were heading our way and I couldn’t help but feel a little panic set in.

       “I got to go,” I state going to walk past him. As I do, my arm brushed his and a spark of electricity shot up through it. I let out a small gasp and grabbed at my arm. What the hell was that?

       “Are you ok?” Embry asked moving toward me taking my gasp as one of pain. I stepped back and looked at him again.

       “Embry is everything ok?” Edward asks, cocking an eyebrow at me. I had to get out of here before I ruin it. Once Embry turned to answer Edward, I turned and sprinted down the hall. I heard what sounded like him calling out for me to wait but I didn’t slow down. I did take a look back even though I really shouldn’t have. Jacob had a hand on Embry’s shoulder holding him in place. Embry’s face held a look of hurt. My heart told me to go back to him but I stubbornly kept going. I can’t afford a slip up and falling for one of the people I’m spying on would be the biggest slip up of all.

       Once I rounded the corner, I stopped. I was breathing heavy as I leaned back against the wall. I let my feet slowly slip out from under me until I was sitting completely on the ground with my knees up in front of me. My head was laid against the wall and my heart rate began to get back to normal.

       What am I doing?, I thought. I’ve been here for three days and it already felt like I was failing. And we all know what failing would get me. How am I supposed to keep an eye on them if I can’t get close to them? I guess I could act like I was getting close to them but I can’t help but doubt I could. How can I be this friendly person they can learn to trust me when I’ve been this way so long? I’m so confused at this point that I just want to go home. I’m starting to regret the decision to take this job more and more.

       The shrill sound of the bell rang through the halls, bouncing off the walls and shaking me from my thoughts. Any second the halls would be flooded with students on their way to their next class and I didn’t want to be on the floor when that happened. I pulled the schedule out of my back pocket to see that I had gym next. I trudged through the crowd, noticing every time I touched someone that it felt nowhere as good as it did when Embry had.

       The gym was fairly nice. It had basketball goals and bleachers lined one side. There were people sitting at the very end of the bleachers, lounging and talking. It was the first day of class so we didn’t have to dress out in the ugly gym clothes that the school provided. I used to like sports but it’s been awhile since I’ve actually got to play any obviously. I sat down away from the other students and looked for the teacher but he wasn’t there. I caught a few people glancing at me. I just rolled my eyes and lay back against the bleacher behind me. I laid my head back so that I was looking at the ceiling. I thought through all the events of the day so far. People staring, gossip, learning a few things, and talking to no one, not that people haven’t tried. There was this red-headed girl in my science class that sat next to me. I wasn’t the nicest but maybe I need to try to be. I need to fit in here in order to gain the trust of the Cullens and the shape-shifters. I can’t have them suspecting me of anything.

       “You ok?” I heard a deep voice ask. I didn’t recognize it. I opened my eyes slowly to see one of the pack standing in front of me.

       “I’m fine,” I mumbled and saw him frown. You got to be friendlier, I told myself. With that said, I sat up and shot him a small smile. “Sorry just tired.”

       He looked taken aback by my response but soon a smirk broke out on his face. “No problem. We just saw you sitting by yourself and thought we’d join you,” he replied motioning to someone behind him. I looked around him to see Embry standing a few feet away. I immediately tensed up but just gave a nod. He called Embry over who now had a smile on his face. They both sat down on the floor in front of me. I didn’t miss the glares I was getting from some of the girls in the gym.

       “Uh, sorry about earlier,” I said trying away from him. I wasn’t sure how to do this suppose apologizing for running away for no reason apparent to him is a good place to start.

       “It’s alright. He’s Paul and I’m Embry,” he said holding out his hand for me to shake. I stared at it for a minute before softly shaking his hand.

       “Lamia,” I replied. The electric current from earlier ran up my arm and I yanked my hand back. I turned it over and Paul busted out laughing. His laugh overpowered the other voices in the room and bounced around the room. “What?” I asked not seeing what was so funny.

        Embry shot Paul a glare before answering, “Just ignore him. He’s not the brightest in the bunch.” That caused an unexpected laugh to leave my lips. They bpth turned to me in surprise but Embry only grinned bigger.

       “Ok kiddies, let’s all gather around t ogo over some ground rules,” the teacher called, interrupting our little meet and greet. He came to a stop in the middle of the gym and everyone started to make their way towards him.

       “I guess that’s our cue,” I state, standing up from the bleacher. Paul and Embry hopped up with the agility only a shape-shifter would have. I only noticed because I knew what they were. Listening to the teacher blabber on, I couldn’t really concentrate. Embry was standing a little to close and all I could think about was what I was doing. Being next to him was bringing back the feelings from earlier. I had to be careful when it comes to him. He would be my downfall if things got out of hand. I was trying to befriend him and the others only to betray them in the end. I swallowed down the lump that was forming in my throat.

I’m a horrible person.