What the hell are you doing!

Chapter 24

I just stood at the driveway and looked at Adam as he drove away. Come back, I thought quietly in my head. Then I started to walk to my door. I just opened it, because we never use to lock the door when one of us is home.

Eddie: Is it you mommy?

Evelyn: Yeah, it’s me Chew-bun! Where’s daddy?

Edward came running to me, but not with a smile like he uses to have.

Evelyn: What is it hunny? Where’s dad?

 Eddie: I don’t know…

I looked confused at him.

Evelyn: You’re not home alone, right?

 Eddie: No, I’m not home alone.

 Evelyn: Well, where’s daddy then?

eddie: I think he’s in the kitchen and make some soup, but he is very quiet… so I dunno if he is there.

 Evelyn: Do you want to come with me and check if he’s there?

Eddie shaked his head. His big eyes looked terrified at me.

Evelyn: Is it scary?

He nodded this time.

Evelyn: Well, I can carry you to the kitchen and you can have your head in my hair so you won’t see anything. And if daddy’s not there, I put you down on a chair where you can have your eyes closed. Ok?

 Eddie: Ok mommy…

Poor little thing! He was very scared, almost for nothing. Or had Harry done something against Edward, like he did to me? No, he wouldn’t hurt his own child. Not in a million years.

I took up Eddie in my arms, trying not to use my broken hand. But that was kind of easy, because he didn’t weight very much yet. I walked through the hall, pass the living room and into the kitchen. I looked around in the room, but I didn’t find Trevor. Just a chopping-board with some vegetables and a knife. I turned to the table and the chairs and put down William on one of the chairs.

Evelyn: There’s no one here Chew-bun.

Eddie opened his eyes and looked at something behind me.

Evelyn: What is it?

Eddie: Daddy is behind you!

I quickly turned around to see Harry standing and chopping vegetables. I got up from my knees and hugged him from behind, but I got no respond. Then I let go of my grip and stood beside him. He chopped his vegetables as if nothing was more important. And when he was about to chop his own fingers off, I took a tight grip of his left arm and pulled it away from the knife.

Evelyn: What the hell are you doing!

Harry didn’t say anything. He just stared at the knife in his right hand, and then he turned his head to me. His eyes weren’t the same; they use to be sparkling green… But now they’re lifeless and grey.

Evelyn: William, take you’re toys and go to mom and dad’s room. You can play there for a while.

Eddie: Ok, mommy…

In those cases I love to have a listening child like Edward. I watched him go out of the room, and I looked back at Harry. He still stared at me with no feeling at all.

Evelyn: What the hell are you doing, tell me right now!

Then he quickly took a grip of my both hands, instead of my hands on his wrist as it was just seconds ago. I started to wince in pain, because you remember my broken hand right?

Evelyn: Harry let go of my hand! You’re hurting me!

But he didn’t stop. Then I saw the knife in his hand getting closer to my left forearm.

Evelyn: No, don’t do it!