In a coma...

Chapter 34

When I opened my eyes, everything I saw was a blur. After I‘ve blinked a couple of times I saw that I was laying in a room. I looked around in the rest of the room and saw a chair on the right side of the bed. There was two people sitting and sleeping. I recognized both of them. It looked like my mum and Eddie… Mum and Eddie!

Evelyn: Mum, Eddie! Is it really you?

But it didn’t sound like I wanted it to sound. I was expecting a happy, excited and kind of loud voice. But it only came out like a whisper. I slightly coughed, but it didn’t change. I sighed and looked down at my hands.

Evelyn: MUM?!

This time my voice didn’t whisper as much as before, but it wasn’t loud either… Anyway, my mum heard me!

Mrs. Frost: Hunny, you’re awake! How are you? And what happened that day?

What happened? Yeah, what had happened? I can’t remember anything.

Evelyn: I don’t know, I can’t remember… Maybe you can ask Harry? He was there, that’s the only thing I remember.

Mrs. Frost: Evy, no one has seen Harry in a long time. And I know that you two were very tight, so he should’ve shown up a long time ago to see how you’re doing.

Evelyn: Haven’t he visited me?

Mrs. Frost: I’m sorry.

My heart hurt. Why haven’t he visited me? And for how long have I been on the hospital?

Evelyn: How long have I been here?

My mum looked at me with a sad look, not responding my question. I knew that I didn’t even want to know the answer. My tears were threatening to come as I gritted my teeth.

Evelyn: How long have I been here?

Mrs. Frost: You've been in a coma for five years…

Five years? No, it couldn’t be possible. What have I done here for five years?

Oh my god, five years! I have missed out on five years! I’ve missed 3 of my own sons end of terms, I’ve missed seeing him grow from a little boy to a little guy, I’ve missed learning him to read and write… Oh gosh I’ve missed out on everything! Eddie haven’t got a mum in these past five years, what if he got bullied and I wasn’t there to help him out? What if I missed his first love…

Evelyn: I’m a terrible mum!

My mum tried to comfort me but she didn’t really know how to do it. Then an angelic voice speaked.

Eddie: You’re not a terrible mum, you’re the world’s most best mum! It’s not your fault that all these things had happened. It’s the people who did this to you!

He climbed up on my bed and I opened my arms for him. It feels so great to finally have him in my arms, he was a lot bigger than last time I hugged him. But he was still my little boy. Eddie looked so much like Harry, the same curls but much more wild, the green sparkling eyes and that stunning smile. Then suddenly I felt pain in my heart. Not because I missed Harry, but I actually got pain in my heart. It felt like my heart was squeezed to a small ball. I also felt like I couldn’t breathe. I squeezed my eyes closed and was gasping for air.

Eddie: Mommy what’s wrong?

Evelyn: N-nothing…

Eddie gave me a worried look and my mum was about to call for a nurse as the pain was slowly drifting away. I started to breathe more normal at the second and my mum let go of the phone.

Mrs. Frost: Hunny, are you ok?

I coughed a few times before I responded her.

Evelyn: yeah, I think…ehm, so Eddie, tell me everything that had happened in the last five years? Have you been bullied? Have you had your first love yet? How is it going in school?

Eddie: Wow, cowboy! You’re goin’ to fast on the road! But no, no and it’s going really good!

I started to laugh about that memory and how Eddie tried to sound like he was from Texas. Then he started to tell me everything that had happened.