Ch. 9: Close

Close- Nick feat: Tove Lo

"I know, I know you know you're scared. Your heart, your mind, your soul, your body."

---

"Who can tell me the meaning of love that revolves around Twelfth Night?" Mr. Davidson asks the class the next day.

Jake wasn't here today, not that I cared... But that thought dismissed as I saw him through the door from the window. He pauses by the door. My eyes lock in on his black shades. I don't know if he saw me see him, but I felt a chill down my spine when he came in slightly staggering.

"You have three detentions from me, and you haven't attended any of them. The fourth one you will be suspended." Mr. Davidson tells him sternly while he walks to his seat next to me.

That's when I see him. He looks broken. His eye bruised to the point where it went over his glasses. His bottom lip was busted, and his once pierced lip that he occasionally wore was gone. He limped slightly, whiles his knuckles were bruised beyond repair that had scabbed over it all.

I blink faster trying to dispel the mess that was on him. He sat next to me, his breathing seeming to be faint, but at the same time heavy. I didn't want to stare, but I did as I tried to grasp what was wrong with him.

"Dawn?" I hear Mr. Davidson call on me.

"Yes." I look back to my teacher.

"Your answer?"

"To what." I blink faster.

Mr. Davidson rolls his eyes, and mutters, "Never mind." He turns back to the board to write something.

"At least someone remembers her name." I hear the same boy who remarked to me yesterday about my dress.

Jake snaps back to the row. "Don't even start Jeffery."

Jeffery scoffs. Again, I was grateful he stood up for me, but I didn't need him to rescue me all the time. Primarily because he was the real reason why the boys that sat behind us made fun of me about my name, "Oh yeah, what are going to do Jake? You look like shit today." Does he want to die?

Jake fist his right hand, I can feel him tense from here. He's about to swing it, but without my hand knowing what the hell it was doing, I gently place my hand over his fisted hand. "Jake. Stop." I say in a calm, soft voice, trying to soothe this situation. "You will be suspended," I tell him.

His hand relaxes under mind but still stays in a fist. He looks over at me, and I stare at him. The intensity scares me even if I can't see his moss green eyes that well, but I can feel the emotion that is vibrating through our touched skin.

I hear the three boys behind us snicker, but they don't say anything when Mr. Davidson starts speaking. "Do we seem to have a problem over there?" He jesters towards them.

The boy sitting next to Jeffery named Chris clears his throat." No sir. Just having a little chat; that's all."

"Well zip it." Mr. Davidson says. Finally, he's actually doing his fucking job right. My hand is still on Jake's which I did not realize since my eyes were up to our teacher, I then realize when his hand relaxes entirely on his lap. His palm flat against his thigh. My eyes connect with his again, and I can see the ease within him.

'Are you okay.' I mouth to him.

He nods his head.