Ch. 62: Where is My Mind?

Where is My Mind?- The Pixies

"Your head will collapse, If there's nothing in it, And you'll ask yourself, Where is my mind?"

Mini A/N: Take another breath.

--

Dawn P.O.V.

"I'll just hop out now." The Ronny guys say as I reach a light. "I'll call you when everything clear up." He pats Jake's arm to which he winces out. Our eyes connect in the mirror above, and his eyes are just as pained as mine when he shuts the door.

I'm losing my shit right now, and I feel like I'll combust any second. A wall of my emotions have been filtered, and I can hear a whine from the back of my throat when I begin the engine as the light turns green.

"Baby?" I hear Jake call to me, but if I give him any attention, I'm sure I will break. "Talk to me."

The whine grows, and a sob escapes from me when tears drop to my dirty thighs from the Underground's pavement. I turn down my street, but once we reach halfway, my vision begins to blur. I cannot be here. Out of all places, I can't bring myself to look at the broken house. I pull over hastily. Causing Jake and I to pull forward. My sobs grow into hysteria, and I can't help anything right now. I hear Jake's car door open, and mine open seconds later. He pulls me to my feet and hugs me. I don't care about the blood. He can barely stand, but I'm too selfish to care right now.

He may believe my attack is solely on what just happened, but with that and my father- I can't stay strong anymore. I don't know what to do anymore.

"Dawn?" A female voice calls to me. It's from a distance.

Am I hearing voices? The voice is familiar so..

"Hi." I hear a voice behind me, but I don't look.

I cower deeper into Jake. "Hello." Jake replies.

"I'm Reese."

Reese. I forgot she lived close by. "Jake." Jake says; holding me closer to him.

"Is she okay?" What a stupid question. Of course I'm not okay. "Are you okay?" I'm guessing she's taking in our appearances.

"No." Jake answers shortly.

"Well if you guys need anything, I live right here." Her footsteps are known, and she begins walking up to her house.

"I can't go home." I mutter to Jake between my sniffles. I've since calmed down when Reese approached us.

"Why?" Jake looks down at me, his voice soft.

"I'll tell you later." I wipe under my eyes, and Jake helps; smearing away my tears. I cannot be in the godforsaken house right now, or I'm sure to breakdown into a frenzied state.

"Reese!" I call to her before she shuts the door in our faces. She comes out again. "Is there anyway we can come in. We've had a shit of day, and I need to check his wounds." I point to Jake. He's marked up everywhere.

She smiles at me sadly, as she open the door wider. I look up to Jake, and silently tell him to follow me. I grasp his arm, and make him lean on me towards Reese's home. This is asking a lot. Considering we aren't that close, but I can't stay in that horror house right now.

"Did you get any mail?" A boy comes through the corridor, I've never seen him before. He stops in his tracks, seeing Jake stagger along with me.

"Jesse can you help Dawn with Jake up the stairs."