Ch. 44: Andy, You're A Star

Andy, You're A Star- The Killers

"In nobody's eyes but mine, Andy, you're a star."

-

Thursday

You would think it would all be easy for me. One week without Jake, just adding another. It's worse now since I know he's okay. He's at reaching distance, but I can't touch him. Not for another week in a half.

Jake says that Leger will just find some other person to pick at by then.

Thanksgiving break could not come any amount slower.

It was all weird to me in some way. Knowing what I truly know what he feels for me. He feels something, and it is as deep as I feel. I just can't help the giddy smile that springs up my face when he comes to English. I try to cover it as best as I can, but it's hard. Especially now; during class, he'll wrap his foot around mine under the table in the middle of class. No one sees it, so I know this is just giving him some relief for touching purposes.

I'm not complaining. What I am complaining about is the growing distance between us. I see him around school talking to other girls. I'm not the jealous type, but I can't help but feel him being flirty with them. I know he said he was trying to steer clear of this so called Leger, but I can't help for what I feel.

When he walks into English today, he doesn't hesitant to sit down next to me and wrap his foot under mine.

One more week and a half. That's all I need.

"Hey Dawn." Alice says with a slight smile. She stands in front of my table.

"Hello."

Lately things have been a little shaky with our little group. Especially the things I know about Jake that I cannot tell her, and for the fact that I know about her and Lauren. All these secrets and lies bound together.

"So I was wondering if you could be a pal and help me with my Government test. I need to study, but I don't get what is even happening." She begs me.

At any other time I would jump for this opportunity to help my fellow friend, but things felt strained from the incident I saw at the Halloween party. I knew about her and Lauren, yet I haven't told either of them that I did. I've been so distracted lately with Jake, and not to mention Conrad, I haven't even played my thoughts in other serious topics that surround me. "Um okay." I force a smile on her. "On one condition."

"Okay?" She probes confusingly.

"It has to be at your place."

The only real reason why I want it at her place instead of mine is if I question it, she can't up and leave. This way she can't leave her own house.

"W-why?" She stutters. She seems nervous, but I don't know what for.

"My parents are both going to be home, and you know how awkward it gets when there both home." I reason. It is the truth, they will be home.

"Oh-uh sure. Yeah." She tugs on her short hair behind her ear." My dad will be home around 5. My- my brother will be home as well."

I shrug. "No problem."

Her eyes turn into deer like eyes as a car runs over them. She's acting so odd, it's beginning to make me anxious.

She walks away after that. "Why?" Jake's voice interrupts my analysis on what just occurred.

He never talks to me during class so this is new for me. "Why what?"

"Why do you want to do it at her place." He barely moves his lips.