Ch. 72: Anything Can Happen

Anything Can Happen- Ellie Goulding

"Yes since we found out, Since we found out, That anything could happen."

-

Dawn P.O.V.

I don't know what hurts more, the bruises on my neck or my heart.

The physical pain that's been harmed to me, or Lauren's confessions.

Someone who I deeply trusted more than anyone else has betrayed me. She has hurt me beyond belief, and all I can do is sob on her porch. She doesn't bother to come after me because she knows I'll probably scream at her and cause a scene in front of her parents and brother. Maybe I should.

No. I'm not selfish like her.

So I'll place my selfishness somewhere else. I call Jake, with tears running down my face. He doesn't answer until the second ring.

"Hi baby, I was about to call you about the good news-"

"Jake!" I sob into the receiver.

"What's wrong?" I can hear him move around, and his cheerful voice is now worried.

"Can- you come- pick -me up -at Lauren's?" I hiccup.

"What happened? Is Ledger there? JC? I swear if they went back on their word-"

"No.... wait? There's been made a deal? Will they stop tormenting us?"

"I'll explain when I come get you." I can hear his car keys being picked up. "I'll be their in 10 minutes tops."

"Okay." I nod my head in understanding. I sit on the steps of the porch. I sniffle some, "I know about the letters." I blurt out because there's no other way to say it.

I can't hear his rapid footsteps anymore. His breathing has hindered. "What?"

"I know about the letters you wrote to me from the past." I sniffle.

He's silent for a moment, and all I can hear is his heavy breathing, then, "She told you?" He croaks.

"No." I say harshly. "I found them."

"They're embarrassing."

"And that's your excuse for not telling me?" I snap.

"No, no. I mean I don't know. Up until a few months ago, I thought you knew about them and chose to ignore them. That's why I was awful to you when we first met again this school year."

"I'm Dawn. Dawn Rivers." I mutter, my fingers comb through my hair behind my reddening ear.

"Jake Dennings." He says. "But I'm sure you already knew that."

I didn't know if he meant that as in cockiness or if he knew that I knew his name from the long ago past of junior high. I hear another sigh leave his lips. I finally look at him, now he's looking at the board.

"Not really." I lie a little bit, but he didn't need to be so arrogant about it if he meant it in that way. He could have just forgot about our small talks then to ease in now.

He scowls at me, or what I think is scowling since I can't see his eyes. "Really?" He laughs at me. "Didn't know everyone lied on this campus."

"How do you want me to respond to that. Sure I've heard talk. But it's not like I really know you." I try to defend myself. "And also I didn't know if you still remembered me from junior high."