Ch. 88: Call Out My Name

"We found each other. I helped you out of a broken place. You gave me comfort. But falling for you was my mistake."

Call Out My Name- The Weeknd

-

Dawn P.O.V.

Getting over someone is harder than you think. Especially if you loved them more than you loved breathing. That was Jake. He was oxygen in itself, and I grew to obsess over him, and now all I can do is breathe him and nothing else. Nothing else can suffice that need or want. But now I must learn to do so.

I must ignore him in passing and forget Jake because that'll be the only way to get over him. In a matter of months I've grown to love this man, and I can already feel how hard it's going to be to get over him.

Sleepless nights carry me everyday along with makeup to cover my darkened circles and dry skin from my crying. I stopped crying the fifth day because now all I feel is numbness.

The only connection I have with Jake is Marcus. He has been shadowing me after school for the past 3 weeks, and I've become sick and tired of it. Mom's been back at work, so it's easy for him to just sit in front of my porch until it becomes too late.

I don't understand why he still follows me expect our one interaction.

"Why are you following me?" I asked one day when he was following me after school.

"Martinez and Jake's orders." He answered quietly.

"They couldn't get anyone else?" I turned back around, and continued my trek, "Someone who talked more." I quipped.

"I'm the only one available." He answered ominously.

"Well you don't need to. Jake and I aren't together so there's no fight." At least there shouldn't be.

I didn't think so far ahead when we ended things. Was Jake still going to fight or was he not considering to because we are no longer together? He must still be in trouble with Ledger because of his defiance and everything else.

A part of me wish it was easy, and Jake wouldn't have to fight any more, but another part of me- The part that I know has to be wrong, is Jake promised the people's freedom of Ledger, and if he doesn't follow through the fight, then he's failed them. He's failed himself entirely, and I know it'll break him apart in some way when he's come to this realization.

Now it's Friday, and it's the last day before winter break. Marcus is doing the same thing that he did last week. Following me. "Do you want to come inside today, or do you want to look like a stalker outside?" I turn back around at him.

He looks puzzled at my proposal, but shrugs- giving me the answer that I needed. I open my front door wider and usher him inside.

"You know you don't have to be so quiet all the time." I say, as I take off my sweater and throw my backpack aimlessly on the kitchen counter.

"I know." He says, "I just don't want to say anything wrong."

"Like what? It wouldn't matter anyway." I grab a two water bottles from the fridge and toss him one.

"Thanks." He mumbles, taking generous sips from the bottle.

"Well come along." I say as I take a sip from my own bottle. I walk the steps towards my bedroom, but he doesn't follow. He stays down for a moment.

He's confused at what I am doing. "Don't just stand there, Marcus. If you're going to continue to follow me, you at least have to entertain me." He climbs the stairs slowly.