Chapter 46 - 산책 (SAN-CHAEG) [Strolling]

Roxi P.O.V

'I should say something to Kookie, he must think I hate him now.'

I look at my darkened apartment, my puppies were still asleep as I got ready to go to city hall. It was about time I updated the registry and got a new copy anyway. It was way too early in the morning to grab something to eat, so I just changed into a plain grey sweater and black jeans with my black combat boots.

'Hopefully I can make it back quick enough to get a few more hours of rest before work.'

I walked out of my dorm and headed to the elevators. The dark midnight sky was void of stars, and the moon wasn't even out tonight.

"Roxi-ah?"

"Jimin-oppa? What're you doing up so early?"

He was wearing an oversized dark red flannel and some ripped jeans, looking as casual as ever. Yet he still wouldn't meet my eyes. The quiet dings of the the elevator as it came closer and closer to our floor was like a countdown to a ticking time bomb in my head.

"I should be asking you that."Jimin says, focusing on his phone screen."I just came back from practice an hour ago. When I came home I couldn't fall asleep, so I was planning on taking a walk."

"Ah. Isn't it a bit late to walk around by yourself?"

"Again, I should be asking you that."he states blankly, entering the elevator after me."Where are you going this late?"

"I need to pick up my family register at city hall."I answer,"I have work in the morning so I thought I should just get this over with."

"You're going on your own? That's a bit dangerous don't you think."he responded.

"I'll just take my chances."

"Don't be crazy."

Silence fills the elevator again as I wait to pass through the last two floors. Even though I wanted Jimin and I to be friends in the end, there's still some tension between us. To be honest, it kind of hurt. Seeing him so cold when I saw the warmest parts of him for so long. The doors opened and I walk out.

"I'll walk with you there."Jimin insisted, taking hold of my hand as he left the elevator behind me."It'd be against my morals to let a friend of mine wander the city alone at night."

I noticed the way he slightly choked up at saying the word 'friend'. I guess he wasn't over from what happened in Japan.

"Look Jimin-oppa you do-"I would have continued, but the genuine worry in his eyes made me shut right up."...Fine."

I hand him a black mask and the two of us head out of the dorm building, the city lights showing us the path. The lack of people made the city seem quieter than it actually is. The lack of talking between Jimin and I only proved how awkward we are around each other. Our fingers were still linked as we walked through the streets, to be honest I was waiting for him to let go. Maybe he was waiting for me to do the same. But for some reason both our grips were firm, with no sign of letting go.

"Jimin-oppa?"

"Hmm?"he hummed, the two of us waiting at a stoplight.

"...Are you mad at me?"I ask quietly.

"Don't be dumb, I'm not mad."he says, his hand tightening a bit more around mine in a protective way."I promise."

"You seem mad though."I giggle,"You're avoiding me."

"I just needed some space."he explained,"But I guess it backfired a bit."

"What do you mean by that?"I ask, hearing him chuckle as we walk across the street.

"Ah, it's because I just ended up missing you more."

My cheeks went red. I never thought he would miss me, I lived right next door after all. He just needed to come and knock on my door, then we would hang out and I wouldn't even bat an eye.

"...You should've told me. We could've hung out more."I say, pouting under the mask."If you miss someone, you should see the person."

"I know. I was just...confused. That's all."he replied, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

We kept walking, ignored by people around us as we passed by them."It looks really pretty tonight doesn't it Roxi-ah?"

"Yeah, I don't remember the last time I walked through Seoul like this."

"Maybe I should take you out sometime, it's not healthy to stay inside all the time. Yoongi-hyung is making a bad influence on you."Jimin says before stammering,"I-I mean, if you want to of course."

"That sounds fun."I smile, allowing it to reach my eyes so he would know.

"Cool."

We walk for a little while more, knowing that city hall was pretty close. Jimin checked his phone and quickly tapped a few buttons to reply.

"Are they wondering where you are?"I asked, seeing Jimin shake his head.

"Nah, just Jin-hyung saying I should buy some candy."he laughed."He's really peckish right now."

"Do you want to stop by the store close to the dorms later?"

"Yeah let's do that."he nods."Oh, we're here now."

We had stopped in front of a large building, it looked a bit old compared to the surrounding ones. I inhaled deeply before entering, I really hated this place. Jimin and I walked in and I took the liberty to let go of his hand to grab my phone in my purse to find the right room. Jimin followed me silently, seeing men in suits left and right seemed a bit intimidating. We stopped at a door on the second floor, my head pulsing from how many things were swarming through my mind. First there's the mystery of Tae's parent's connection to my parents, then my uncle, and now here I am stressed over other smaller things.

'This is such a pain.'

We walked in to see a woman sitting at the desk, her eyes widening as she saw who we were. Surely it must not have been such a surprise to see an idol at city hall, but two who were never seen together in public would have seemed weird. I took off my mask and sat on a chair in front of her and I motion for Jimin to sit in the chair next to me.

"Hello, I'm AJ Torrez and I'm here for an appointment."I greet, sticking out my hand for her to shake.

She accepts my handshake and takes out a few papers."I see. You're here for a new copy of your family register correct?"

"Yes, I have an outdated version at the moment."I say, trying not to focus on the ticking clock on the wall.

"Here's our current copy, please tell me if there's any misinformation or typos. I have to ask you questions to confirm our information is correct so please bear with me."she says,"I have recieved the medical papers about your uncle a few weeks ago so I need to update his current status."

I felt a bit iffy on the subject, if I'd known she would need to refer to me about this information then I would've forced Jimin to let me come here alone. But it's too late to turn back and tell him to leave now, no doubt he'd be too stubborn to listen.

"Your parents and brother got into a car accident a month after you were born correct? The accident occured in America yes?"she asked, looking over some hard copied files next to her computer.

'Well isn't this ruthless?'

"Yes, that's how they died."

"Your uncle was your guardian after your parents died correct?"she asks, quickly typing on her keyboard."Was he from your mother's or father's side?"

"Yes. He was from my mother's side."

"I see. You were under his care for twenty-one years in total. How did he die?"she asked, continuing her constant tapping of her keyboard.

"Trauma in the brain and spine due to a construction accident."I answered.

"Yes, all the information is correct then."she nods, handing me a yellow packet of papers."This is your new family register, please come back if you find something incorrect."

"Okay thank you miss."I bow.

'I hate this place.'