CHAPTER 30

Ash woke up with a big smile on his face. Today would be the day that he would start his Island Challenge! He woke Pikachu, who promptly hit him with a volt of electicity. His shout woke Lillie.

'Wha-? Oh it's you Ash.' She mumbled tiredly from her loft. 'Good luck for your first trial.'

Ash looked out the window. It was barely light, with pokémon just starting to come out of their hiding spots and roam the meadow around the lab.

Professor Kukui came through the door. 'Morning Ash, morning Lillie. You're up later than I expected cousin!'

'But it's only just dawn!' Lillie exclaimed.

Kukui shrugged it off. 'How about I make some breakfast, yeah?' Ash nodded eagerly, his stomach growling. Lillie giggled. Kukui started to make a big breakfast in the kitchen, whistling as he went. 'As my assistant Lillie, I would like you to go with Ash on his Island Challenge and observe any interesting moves you come across.'

'I will do that for you Professor!' Lillie said. 'Does that mean I need a pokémon?'

'Not if you don't want to Lillie.' Kukui answered. 'But I do have a Vulpix if you want it cousin.'

Lillie shook her head. 'No thank you Professor. I might catch one if I want to.'

Kukui put a steaming plate in front of Ash. 'Eat up.' He also gave some pokémon food to Pikachu, Rowlet and Rockruff, who ate it eagerly. Kukui gave Lillie some breakfast, who looked in disbelief.

'This is all for me?' She asked quietly.

'Of course it is cousin! Why wouldn't it be?' Kukui exclaimed.

Lillie looked down. 'Oh! No reason.' She started eating the food like it was about to disappear. Ash finished his breakfast quickly, and ran outside with his pokémon to do some last minute training.

-

Once Lillie was ready, they followed Rotom's directions to Verdant Cavern, the place of the first trial. Professor Kukui came along too; he wanted to see what moves Ash and his pokémon could do.

When they arrived, they were greeted by a man with pink hair. 'Greetings, I am Captain Ilima. I assume you are here for your first trial?' Ash nodded eagerly. 'Very well. Hello Professor.'

'Hey cousin! How's being captain treating you?' Kukui answered.

Ilima put his hand on his chin to think. 'It has been very good. Smergle and I have been doing our duties as well as we can.'

'That's great! Woo!' Kukui replied. Ash started to get antsy, hopping on one foot to the other. 'But I think Ash wants to start his trial.'

Ash nodded. 'Yes please!'

'Very well,' Ilima said. 'This trial includes finding some pokémon hiding in some dens. When you have found them all, you can battle the Totem.'

-

Ash had finshed battling all of the pokémon in the dens, and was waiting for the trial guide to allow him to enter the Totem's Den. 'There are two possible Totems.' The trial guide said. 'It depends which legend in Alola is stronger.'

'That's interesting.' said Lillie. She got out a notebook and started to write neatly.

The guide told Ash, Lillie and Professor Kukui to wait while he checked on Ilima and the Totem. When he returned, he told Ash that he was allowed to go in. 'It seems like the sunne pokémon is stronger today.'

'Yeah! Let's go beat the Totem!' Ash yelled. He and Pikachu ran into the Totem's Den. Lillie and Professor Kukui followed him.

He ran into a place where he was surrounded by rock, and sunshine pored into the small clearing. There was a pedastal with the Island Challenge amulet on it, and a silver sparkling thing inside. Ilima was waiting by the pedastal.

'Welcome Challenger. Come take the Normalium Z.' Ilima said.

Ash was confused. 'Don't I have to battle the Totem?'

'You can take the Normalium Z now.' Ilima insisted. Ash warily took the Normalium Z, but nothing happened. 'Where is the Totem?'

'You have us to thank for that.' Someone said. Above the rock wall, stood three figures, two humans and a Meowth.

Ash recognized them immediately. 'Team Rocket! Let the Totem go!'

'He doesn't even know what the Totem is.' Jessie jeered. 'Mimikyu, help us deal with this twerp.' She tossed a pokéball, and a pokémon that looked like a Pikachu, but it looked messier almost.

Rotom spurted a pokédex entry for Jessie's pokémon. 'Mimikyu: The diguise pokémon. A ghost and fairy type. A lonely pokémon, it conceals its terrifying appearance beneath an old rag so it can get closer to people and other pokémon.'

'Not the time Rotom!' Ash exclaimed. He sent out Rowlet and Rockruff. 'Rowlet, Leafage, Rockruff, Rock Throw!' The two pokémon sent the attacks to hit Mimikyu, but the ghost pokémon absorbed the attacks. 'Wha-?' Ash yelled.

Rotom floated next to Ash's face. 'I have the answer!' The pokémon buzzed. 'Mimikyu has the ability Diguise, which means that the first attack doesn't affect it!'

'Thanks Rotom! Hey buddy.' He whispered to Pikachu. 'Can you try and help the Totem pokémon by using Iron Tail?' His pokémon nodded. He ran off. 'Do those attacks again!' Rockruff threw some rocks, and Rowlet sent leaves towards Mimikyu. This time, the ghost pokémon took the attacks.

Suddenly, a shing sound rang threw the den, and Meowth shouted. 'No! Gumshoos is getting away!'

A huge Gumshoos came galloping into the den. 'That's the Totem!' Ash shouted.

'Well this wasn't expected.' Jessie said.

James was immensely happy. 'We finally got Pikachu!' Pikachu was trapped in a glass ball.

'Rock Throw, Rockruff!' Ash shouted. The rocks on Rockruff's neck glowed, and launched toward the glass ball. It shattered, and Pikachu leapt out, and ran back to Ash. 'Pikachu, Thunderbolt!'

Pikachu launched a volt of electricity at Team Rocket, which sent them flying into the air.

'Team Rocket's blasting off again!' They shouted. A sparkle appeared in the sky where Team Rocket disappeared.

Ilima came walking to Ash. 'Thank you Ash. Gumshoos and I agreed to let you have the Normalium Z now if you wish, without a battle.'

'I would like to have a battle with the Totem pokémon Captain Ilima.' Ash said.

'Tomorrow then.' Ilima replied. 'Gumshoos needs to rest, that was quite the ordeal he was put through.'

Ash was disappointed that he couldn't start his Island Challenge, but promised to come back tomorrow, to have a proper battle.

Oh god this is long. My holidays are almost coming to an end, which means I won't be able to post as often. I'm sorry please don't murder me

COMPETITION TIMEEEEE

So I caught a shiny Eevee! (It's a male) It was in 31 SOS encounters, so that was amazing. Leave your suggestions for names and what I should evolve it into (no stone evos thanks). I will take my favourite name, and probably the eeveelution the name came with.

QOTD: Who is your favourite Trial Captain? I like Mallow the best.

Don't forget to vote and comment :D

Hannah <3