Chapter 5

"Is there anything I need to know before we go inside?" I asked as Nikolas cut off the car's engines after parking the car himself.

"Don't embarrass me," he simply answers making me raise an eyebrow at his nonsense.

It is my job to promote my client's image and he tells me to not embarrass him? What does he take me for?

"Same to you," I simply answer as I open the door.

I wait for the man to get out and walk next to him. As we walk past some other guests and photographers, each and every one of them looked at Nikolas with admiration. Since it is a business party, it isn't a surprise that everyone knows who he is. He practically is the CEO of the companies already. Once we enter the room where the announcement will be made, people immediately come to greet the big man next to me. Flatteries are exchanged hoping they can get something from it. I let Nikolas do all the talking as I stand next to him with a smile plastered on my face. But In fact, I'm already bored. I need to look proud of him, like a lover would be.

"If I may ask, who is the man standing beside you?" a man in his mid-forties asks as everyone's attention shifts on me. I bet every single one of them is dying to know.

I give a quick glance at Nikolas and since he is also looking at me, I answered for myself, "Nice to meet you, my name is Micah."

I extend my hand for a handshake, but he ignores it. Instead, the man looks at me from head to toe before asking, "Is he your secretary?" There is a long and uncomfortable silence before he adds, "In fact, as business partners, are you interested to meet my beautiful wife and daughter? She is-"

"How disrespectful," answers Nikolas without caring that he just interrupted the older man. "Know your place as you talk to my partner. Get away from my sight."

The old man's face grows pale as he tries to stutter an apology which fell on deaf ears. For a few minutes, he tries to redeem himself, but security is already here to escort him out. Once he is out of the way, people start to include me in their conversation.

Now that they know that I'm someone important to him, they try to reach Nikolas through me. Before I can even answer one of them, my client starts to walk away and since I am personating his lover, I follow him like a diligent puppy.

"Are you thirsty?" asks Nikolas once we are finally alone with the exception that everyone is still staring at us.

"I would like a glass," I accept his offer as we reach the bar.

"Any preferences?"

"Surprise me," I smile as I turn to lean the base of my back on the counter.

"Two Riesling," he ordered and the bartender nods before going to take a bottle.

He shows it to Nikolas as the latter gives his approval. Then two wine glasses are put in front of us. Watching the man on the other side of the counter open the bottle, a shiny yellow liquid is getting poured into their recipient. I take the glass in my hand and we clink them together. Before tasting it, I bring the cup to my nose and sniff it. Then, as soon as the wine hit my tongue, a sweetness invades my mouth. I really wasn't expecting this flavour, sweet wine? Okay, it tastes awesome, but I wonder if he already knew that I like sweet things or it is only a coincidence?

Not even halfway through our drink, a man appears and whispers in my client's ear. I take a sip of the wine as I inwardly roll my eyes. As they whisper to each other, I look at the crowd. It is easy to recognize most of them since they are the one percent of the population that have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Then I notice the person I have been dying to see for the past few days.