Chapter 55

"How is he?" Alice asks Demetrius after he did a general body examination on Nikolas.

"There's nothing to worry about. The antidote the Alpha provided works wonderfully. But just to be on the safe side, I'll like to conduct one last examination tomorrow," my mate's best friend answers while putting his hands into the pockets of his laboratory coat.

"Yes, we will have to thank him correctly," I add while quickly glancing at my mother-in-law who stayed silent when everyone agreed with me. "Then, we can go home."

"Finally, I'm tired of replacing you already," Matthias moans while cracking his neck. "Hurry and get your ass back into that golden seat or dad will never let me go."

I give him a disgusted look before turning back to my mate. "How about we take a week or two of vacation? You know, so you can fully rest and heal your body with fresh air and some good food."

"You're not serious!" Matthias groaned while looking around for help.

"I think it's a good idea," Demetrius adds while nodding as Michael and Alice joined him. "You'll need to slowly gain your weight and some colour to your skin back."

"Then, it's settled! Let's discuss where we should go later," I grin at my brother-in-law's defeated expression before giving a quick kiss to my mate.

But before I can pull away, he suddenly grabs the back of my neck to keep me in place. He quickly claims my mouth when I gasped in surprise at his sudden attack. My innocent peck on the lips quickly becomes fast and sensual under my mate's care. He is like a man in the desert starving for freshwater.

No matter how much I am willing it, my body can't refuse him. It has been so long. How many days has it been since I started to crave his touch, his smell, his eyes on me?

My craving for my mate only worsened when he first woke up a few days ago. It is as if my body knew what was going to happen soon. All my feelings and need for him came back in a rush. I am so excited about it that I can't stop my fingers from trembling.

Suddenly, someone coughed bringing me back to reality. "Do the two lovebirds know that we are still present in the same room?" Matthias teases with a scoff.

"It's late. We should all go rest," Alice suggests as Michael helps her up on her feet before wrapping his arm around her waist.

As if on cue, everyone sits up and slowly made their way out of the room. When the last person exited, I left my mate's side to close the door.

"Don't overdo it. He still needs some rest. And don't be too loud. We do share a wall," Matthias smirks while giving me a wink before walking away.

I slightly blush when I hear the last part of his unnecessary comment. This is new to me. I can't believe he heard everything! How many times did we do it? Plus, I don't think he will be able to restrain himself tonight. I can already feel Nikolas' burning gaze on my back.

Also, he didn't eat anything since he woke up a few days ago. He even starts to give out some hints about the craving symptoms. I don't know if I can go through the night. It's not like he can drain all my blood from my system, but I'll be incredibly tired tomorrow. I don't know if I can feed on him too. I don't want to weaken him. He needs all the energy he has.

When I am within his reach, he rapidly pulls my arms toward him causing me to stumble on his lap. "Careful, you still need time to rest," I reprimand worriedly as he sighs.

"I'm feeling fine. Everyone is treating me like I am a porcelain doll. I know you mean well, but I can't even go to the bathroom unchaperoned."

"You say that, but your body needs time to heal. You were heavily poisoned you know?"