Chapter 33

It is an odd feeling to have to pack my luggage in the middle of the night while being careful to not make too many noises, so the human staff doesn't hear us. It feels like I am robbing a house which has happened in the past when we were desperate for clothes or anything that could give us warmth.

Even if it was my idea to move out of this house, it still feels like we are retreating from the first wave of the war. This is so humiliating. We are being forced into hiding by mere humans. We underestimated them. We never thought that they would attack us directly, but they did. And if Nikolas didn't notice the poison in the food, who knows what would have happened to us. Apparently, the antidote Michael gave Matthias the other time he was severely injured is very rare and only a few Pures know about it. So, we may be dead by now if we ate the bagels served during breakfast.

After thirty minutes, I am finally ready. I only packed the essentials and a few other things that could be useful since I don't know where we are going. Nikolas is the only one to know. There are fewer risks for the information of our destination to leak out this way. When I turn around to see if my mate is ready, I note that he is still packing his clothes into a gym bag.

"Do you think they will burn the house if they don't find us here?" I ask in a low voice as I look around the luxurious bedroom.

"Most likely," he sighs before adding, "The house is insured, so no worries. If they do burn it, let's build another one that is more comfortable to raise a family in."

"You... Want one?"

"Honestly, yes, I do. Do you want one?"

I don't like kids. This fact isn't a secret since they are noisy, dirty, needy and always packed of germs. But did I once dream of my own family with my mate? Yes, I did. If we do decide to raise a child, I want to give him a family that he would be proud of. He will not need to hide what he likes or who he wants to be just to fit our ideals. I surely don't want him to have a family like mine. My parents didn't even listen to me before casting me out and disowning me. They didn't give me a chance to see my siblings one more time, and they did forget about me. My brother didn't even remember what I looked like even if I didn't age for decades. This is not the kind of family I want to give my child. But when I first saw how Nikolas interacted with his parents and siblings, I knew that they trusted and loved each other. This is the family I desire. A real one filled with joy and happiness and I know that my mate will be a great father. But will I?

"Yes, I do want to raise a family with you," I answer with a small smile while playing with my fingers behind my back.

"Perfect, once this case is over let's talk about it in more details," he beams at me as he closes his bag with the zipper.

Ready, we slowly and quietly walk down the stairs to meet the others at the front door. Nikolas let a message on the table in the dining room where the maids will go and clean the first thing in the morning. Outside, Matthias is already waiting with a huge backpack on his back while sucking on a raspberry fruit compote snack. I wonder if he took that one on purpose? The compote has a pinkish colour that may look like blood, but that's about all. I wonder if he's hungry? I don't know how many packs of blood Nikolas had in his basement, but it doesn't seem like he had enough for both his siblings. I just hoped that our predicament wouldn't last longer than necessary. If only the enforcers could stop being cowards and face us directly.

Once everyone's here, we only take two cars and they aren't the flashy sports one. We took two black SUVs and separated into two groups. Matthias, Nikolas and I are in one car as Alice, Michael and Katie are in the other. Once we are on the road, I look outside by the window and only hoped that the trip will not be too long. I only brought my phone, and I know I will be bored soon enough since I can't shop online anymore because it isn't like I have knowledge of where we are going. Plus, it will be too dangerous and stupid to do it just for the sake of a piece of clothing.