Chapter 28

I look around while panting anxiously. I am back in the bedroom, and the only source of light is the moonlight shining into our room by the windows and the balcony door. I rapidly look at Nikolas' side of the bed and perceive him sleeping on his back. I crawl a little closer to him before making sure he is still breathing. He must have heard my scream because he starts to stir as his eyes gradually open.

Before I can even relax knowing the fact that he is not only alive and well, I catch the door rattle before it slowly opens. I rapidly snatch my mate to hug him against me as I hear him groan in confusion. I ignore him as I stare at the door. It has stopped moving, but I can identify someone's presence behind it. I hiss warningly at whoever is behind the door to back off.

"Are you okay?" I hear my mate ask sleepily as I tighten my grip on him when I notice the door slowly moving.

I hiss another time as I feel my fangs pushing against my gums. So when I see a head poking inside our room after my warnings, I completely lose it. I let go of my mate's head before lunging at the door ready to attack whoever it is who is currently trespassing my territory. But before I can leave the bed, I rapidly get pulled back into my mate's chest.

Why? Why does he let the intruder inside? I have to protect him. I have to kill the enemy. I can't lose my mate, not after Eva. Protect Nikolas. No matter what, I need to protect him. Nothing else matters.

When I detect more sounds toward the door, my head snaps to the same direction and hiss one more time before fighting my way out of my mate's grip. I don't even realize that my claws are scratching him. All I know is a potential danger is getting closer and I can't do anything to defend him.

"Is everything alright?" a voice asks making me snarl at it as I try harder to escape my mate's grip on my lower body.

"Yes, so can you leave us alone?"

"Are you sure?" the voice asks as my attempts to escape from my mate's arms get more frantic and desperate when I notice the person taking a step closer to us.

"Yes, so leave us!"

I hiss and snarl until the intruder finally leaves our room. Even when the door is closed and there is no one else in the bedroom except my mate and me, I keep staring at it fearing that the intruder may come back at any moment.

"Micah, talk to me," Nikolas gently asks as he nuzzles his nose into the crook of my neck, but I keep disregarding him as I continue to have a stare down with the door.

The enemy may have retreated for now, but it may be a trap. Once I look elsewhere, they will definitely attack and it will be the end. I couldn't afford to lose my mate.

Suddenly, I experience something pierce into my neck making me all fuzzy and warm as my body starts to relax. What is my mate doing?! I can't relax now when we are surrounded by danger! I turn around while hissing at my mate to notify him to stop whatever he is doing, but soon, I just feel so relaxed and content. The emotions emanating from Nikolas is so warm and relaxing that I forget what I have been doing. Instead, I start to lightly giggle as he licks my neck. It tickles.

"Are you calmed down now?"

"So warm," I sigh in contentment totally relaxed in my mate's arms.

"Do you want to tell me what got you so scared?" he asks as I tense and before I can control it, I start to sob.

"Nightmare," I sniffle while looking down at my hands.

"Tell me," he gently pushes making me shake my head no. "I can't help you feel better if you don't tell me."

I stay silent hoping he will let the subject go. Of course, he did not, but being surrounded by his scent is so reassuring. I know he is safe. It was only a dream, not reality. But Eva is still gone and I despise it. Maybe my mate will know what to do to make me accept her death, but... I don't want to burden him. I already awakened the whole household and not only that, I nearly assaulted one member of his family! My instincts took over and it was like I wasn't in control of my own body. I didn't even recognize the person who came to check on me. If Nikolas wasn't fast enough to stop me, who knows what I may have done? I have to apologize. I can't ruin the little relationship I have developed with them because of a stupid dream!