Chapter 31

When I come back to my senses, all I can hear is a high-pitched ringing noise in my head. Even my sight is spinning and all blurred. All my senses are so disoriented that I don't know where I am and what's going on. I think I hit my head during the blast of the explosion hence a headache. I painfully groan while slowly getting up in a sitting position. Fuck, I feel like my head is going to explode and my back feels like someone ripped all my skin off before severely burning it. Thankfully for my healing powers or I would have been burned to a crisp, just like a piece of bacon. Though, I can't say the same for my clothes. Shame, I liked it.

What about Nikolas? Is he okay too? I slowly look at my surroundings and the first thing I notice is all the charred debris of what was once Matthias' coven. There are metal and wood pieces everywhere. Even the fridge was blasted out, and it barely missed my head too...

When I don't see my mate, I could feel my heart in my throat. It can't be... He must have survived! Vampires can't die from being burned alive, but what if it wasn't a normal bomb and there were some werewolf's toxins in the smoke or whatever came out in the explosion? My mate could have been burned and the toxins penetrated inside his wounds which killed him and he was now one with the ashes around me?

When I hear a familiar groan, I look down and finally notice that I have been sitting on him the whole time! I let out a happy laugh as I lunge at him for a hug. I am not smelling any blood, so he must be fine too or he has already healed. He looks a little disoriented and dirty, but he will be fine. He looks like he is still in one piece and there isn't any fingers or limb missing. My mate is still in one piece, and his naked chest is absolutely to die for. There's no scar or anything that marked it.

"Y-you are suffocating me..." he coughs as I let him go while apologizing.

"Thank God, you're alive!" I feel my eyes tear up a little.

I get off of my mate so I can let him some space to regain his senses. In the meantime, I seek the others by looking around us. Where could they be? It is certain that Nikolas' parents made it in time, but I am more worried about Matthias and Katie. They were the last one to get out after all. Please, they have to be alright too.

When I don't see them, I am about to call their name, so they will hopefully answer, but Alice beats me to it. She wastes no time to go look for her children after she made sure that we were okay. I let Michael help my mate on his feet when I go look for the two siblings that are still missing. They can't be too far. Hopefully, they weren't crushed by the oven or a bed.

As Alice looks around what remained of the ruined building, I call their names as I try to track their smell. Katie wears a very distinctive and delicate perfume as Matthias smells like... Matthias. However, the remaining odour of gunpowder and burned plastic makes everything more difficult.

"They are here!" Alice shouts as I immediately run toward the direction she's pointing at.

With my speed, I make it there in no time and what I see slightly ease my anguish. Katie, who's under Matthias, looks unharmed, but it's another story for the older brother. It looks like he took most of the blast of the explosion with his body to protect his sister. So, his clothes are currently burned into shreds as we can see a few wounds still healing.

"Are you okay?" Matthias faintly asks as his arms start to shake.

"Yes, thank you," Katie answers, but a look of horror appears on her face when he immediately collapses on his side. "Matthias! What's wrong?! Matthias!"

Why is it always him that gets hurt? His luck has been really bad these past weeks, or it may be a cruel joke made by the damn writer of this story that sadistically decided to make that man's life miserable... What the hell am I thinking? I may have hit my head harder than I thought.