Chapter 46

"How is she?" I overhear Daniel ask the doctor about his sister as my mate and I walk around the corner of the hallway to join all the others.

"She's stable, we succeeded to extract most of the silver and her healing abilities took care of the rest. But she still hasn't awakened. Regrettably, I can't do anything about that. It'll be up to her," the doctor explains as he glances at us nervously.

Wait, did I hear right? He said that he extracted most of the silver? So she was poisoned. But I thought that it was only a myth. Legends said that the hunters used silver bullets to kill the werewolves, but as time passed, less and fewer werewolves died from it. So we assumed that silver wasn't a deadly poison for them.

However, Claudia did nearly die because of it. It doesn't make any sense unless the werewolves found a way to cure themselves of the silver. And what the doctor did to cure my friend would prove my theory.

"Did you know about that? Silver being toxic for the werewolves?" I whisper to my mate as he leans closer to me to be able to hear me.

"I knew about it, but I also believed that the silver didn't have any effects on them anymore. I guess we all got fooled," he explained with a frown. "I can't believe I got fooled by werewolves," he clicks his tongue. It must have hurt his pride. "But I have to admit, their way of doing it was very clever," my mate admits causing me to look at him in surprise.

Daniel nodded and dismissed the doctor as he clenches his hands into fists. I don't need to see him to know how he feels. His emotions are so thick in the air. He reeks of anxiety, but mostly of anger and hate. And I don't accuse him. He must be blaming himself for what happened to his sister. Not only Daniel is Claudia's brother, but he also is the Alpha after all. His responsibility is to take care of every member of his pack.

I notice that Katie didn't enter the room yet. Instead, she is silently observing Claudia from the door. I have never seen her so expressionless before. She is surely trying to repress her emotions. She genuinely doesn't want anyone to find out about bond with Claudia. I wonder what Alice will think about that. Will she deny their relationship or will she accept it for the sake of her daughter? This is going to be interesting.

"Daniel, we have to start talking about our plans before the enforcer comes back," my mother-in-law comments causing for the werewolf to turn around furiously.

"Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I'm afraid that we don't have the luxury of time. You'll have to postpone your time with your sister after our meeting," she counters as Daniel clenches his teeth in obvious displeasure.

Even though he looks annoyed by her comment he doesn't argue with her. "Let's go to my office."

When we are all settled, a heavy and tense silence fills the room. I bet we look like a bunch morons who got reunited after years of separation and don't know what to say.

Finally, Alice shatters the silence by explaining her theory. When she finishes, Daniel doesn't say anything and just shrug with a sigh before asking her to repeat it all over again. This is such a waste of time. Daniel obviously doesn't want to be here, and he is obviously not listening to what my mother-in-law is saying. I wonder why he doesn't let her take the reigns? Everything would be so much easier. Right, I forgot that he's an alpha and alphas do love to take decisions and give orders.

"Will your men be able to act accordingly? Timing is fundamentally important here," she asks emphasizing on the last part of the sentence.

"I should be the one asking you this question. Werewolves from the same pack have been working together for decades now, but what about vampires?" Daniel asks with a raised eyebrow as if daring Alice to counter him.