Chapter 26

I hide under the bed covers when someone is raping our bedroom door, again. I can't believe this. Why does no one want to see me when I am actually awake and not asleep? I know that we live among humans, but we are vampires... Come back when the sun is setting and not when it is high in the sky. It makes me all itchy and sluggish.

"Both of you wake up!" a familiar feminine voice exclaims panicked as she slams the door open. "My son... Matthias came back!"

My mate and I immediately sit up straight, but before I can set my feet down on the floor, my head starts to spin. Instinctively, one of my hand stretches out so I can support myself with the help of the bed as I use my other one to grasp my forehead.

"Are you okay?" Nikolas asks worriedly as he wraps the blanket around me. "We will be down after we get dressed," he states as I hear the door close behind the woman. It must have been Nikolas' mother that just came.

"Don't worry, I just sat up too fast..." I grumble still a little light headed.

"I may have taken too much blood yesterday. I am sorry... I got carried away," Nikolas apologizes as he helps me put on a simple T-shirt and a pair of baggy pants before getting himself clothed.

In a few minutes, we start to walk down the stairs. But as we are halfway down, I start to hear some painful groans and distressed voices all talking over each other. So, I tell Nikolas to go first as I make my way down as fast as I can without tripping. When I finally reach the living room, I am shocked by Matthias' injuries. Alice and Katie are already treating him, but the amount of blood coating the carpet doesn't stop expanding. The man has a huge hole in his stomach and doesn't seem to be healing. What's going on?!

I rush next to Nikolas as I observe the women rapidly tend to Matthias' wounds. "W-what happened? Why isn't he healing?!"

"The damn enforcers coated their weapons and bullets with werewolf's toxin! It invades our nervous system which prevents us to heal," Nikolas answers while clenching his fists as he can only watch his brother suffer.

"C-can't we do something? Like an antidote?"

"The only way to heal from a werewolf's toxin is to drink the blood of the same werewolf. It has antibodies in it that can neutralize the poison," Nikolas rapidly explains as I can feel his distress and rage boiling through our bond.

"Then we only have to find the werewolf right?!"

"However, the enforcers must have kidnapped a werewolf somewhere... We don't even know if their hideout is in the city or not... "

"Are you saying that we let him die?!" I snap back as the only thing I can see if the pool of blood expanding each minute we stand there doing nothing.

"NO! I didn't say that!" Nikolas snaps back before sighing and pulling me into his arms. "My dad knows how to heal him, but how long it'll take... No matter what we have to make sure he doesn't stop breathing."

Even if I want to help, I have no idea what to do. So, I sit on Nikolas' lap as we silently watch Katie do her best to stop the bleeding as Alice sews his organs back together. However, the wound is almost as big as a small watermelon in the man's abdomen. It looked like the enforcers used a shotgun, but usually, even this kind of injuries are easy to heal for a Pure. This shows the deadliness of a werewolf's toxins. No wonder the vampires tried to hunt them down.

It seems like we waited for an eternity before Nikolas' father comes back with a vial filled with a transparent liquid. The appearance is like water, but it has more viscosity. Before he pours the content of the antidote into the injured man's mouth, Michael gives him some water. When he made sure that his son can swallow, he opened the small bottle and gradually poured the liquid into Matthias' mouth. We don't have to wait long before we can see his wound starting to slowly heal by itself. I can hear everyone sigh in relief as Nikolas' parents and Katie clumsily sit down on the floor looking exhausted. Thankfully, we barely avoided the worst.