Chapter 51

"Stay here with him," Demetrius ordered after checking my mate's vampiric vitals one last time. 

"Don't forget to feed him as much as you can. And if he wakes up, he needs a lot of rest. No more fighting."

"Thank you, Demetrius," I answer with a thankful smile. "I'm glad he has someone like you as his best friend."

"Don't worry about it."

"Micah, listen to me. Since this guy found his mate, he has no time for my little brother anymore! It must be guilt eating his balls," Matthias exclaimed dramatically as Demetrius and I both roll our eyes.

"Congratulations for finding your mate," I added as he only nods as an answer before glancing away.

"Aww, looks who's acting all shy," my Matthias again teased which earned him a stab in the ribs.

"Shut up and let's go," Nikolas' friend grunts as Matthias rubs his side with a look of betrayal.

"Sure," he grumbles unhappily.

I observe my brother-in-law and Demetrius silently run away to their respective location. When I can't see them anymore, I look at my mate. He's not struggling to breathe anymore. It's a huge relief. Cutting my wrist again, I press it against his lips. I can feel a faint suction now.

As I play with his hair while he feeds, I carefully observe Michael and Daniel fight against the enforcers. The Alpha is now in his wolf form and has blood coating his fur. It is hard to tell if it was his or not. As for my father-in-law, his shirt was ripped and was slightly injured. But I have to say that he has a great body! Now I know from whom Nikolas took his genes from. Fortunately, they were only minor cuts but they didn't seem to be healing. As long as he doesn't get wounded too deep it should be okay.

I would like to warn them about the additional help that will be coming, but I have no means to do so. I don't want to shout it and warn the enemy as well.

Suddenly, I notice something shining through the leaves. At first, I thought it was either Matthias or Demetrius. But when I look closer, I notice the lens of what I think is a gun. I don't know if it's our allies or enemies. They said nothing about guns or a sniper!

I have to make sure of it. When I move my legs a little I feel the weight of my mate's head resting on my lap. I look down at Nikolas relaxed features. I can't leave him here. He will be an easy prey. But if I take him with me, I may not be there on time. What do I do?

Before I can do anything, the subtle smell of gunpowder tickles my nose. From this point forward everything seems to move in slow motion. I helplessly watch the bullet leave the tree before making his way toward Michael's head. My heart tightens as I rapidly set Nikolas aside to run toward my father-in-law.

I will never make it. If it's the same bullet that hit my mate earlier, he will have no chance of survival. The enforcers know that. This is why they are aiming for his head.

"Dodge!" I shout in distress when I get close enough before jumping to push the older man away.

My body still floating in the air, I notice the bullet getting closer at an alarming pace. I'm going to get hit! I close my eyes and wait for the impact.

Out of nowhere, I feel my body getting blown away. It is as if a huge ball of air exploded near me. It knocks all the oxygen out of my body but at least the bullet isn't moving towards me anymore. Immediately after that, I hear a painful scream. Well, no wonder. Werewolf's toxins are very toxic even for humans. It hurts like hell.

I grunt in pain as I brutally crash on the ground. I'm alive! Quickly coming back to my senses, I barely avoid a dagger flying toward my chest. I quickly glance around and notice that Michael and Daniel are safe. I sigh in relief before someone hits me on my back. I quickly spin around ready to attack their throat but stop dead in my track when I see who it is.