Chapter 41

As I am basking in the sun with a glass of cold lemonade, I observe Katie and Claudia through my sunglasses. My mate's sister is currently training Claudia in a new fighting style which forces her to be less dependent on her wolf form. But what surprised me the most remains the fact that Katie agreed to help her since she hates any kind of sports. Maybe it's because of the way they look at each other? It's only a speculation, but there is something that they are hiding. Even so, they are wearing quite revealing pieces of clothing since today's weather is abnormally scorching for autumn. I am not complaining. I prefer this to the cold. Maybe winter decided to bail and never come back?

"Are you trying to make me jealous?" my mate asks as he sits beside me.

I look away from the two women to stare at Nikolas, "Why would I?"

"I don't know... It may be because you were always dating women in the past and that you're getting tired of me or because you're still mad from what I said the other day?" he explains while snatching my glass of lemonade to take a sip.

"I may be getting tired of you, or I may also be mad. Who knows?" I shrug with a smirk.

Since my mate can't read my mind, I love to torment him a little. Of course, I am not bored with him. I am simply mad and being childish. I will not tolerate the fact that he insinuated that I am a beast. I merely forced myself to swallow that piece of raw meat as an act of respect for my friend. It is called manners. How can you spit out the food a friend offers you? You can't. Unquestionably, raw elk isn't a prized delicacy and my taste buds will suffer from that, but Claudia is a friend and eating it once is once too often. There may be blood in the meat, but I am not a fan of animal blood. It must have something to do with the different blood types.

"You must be feeling smug since you know that I can't read your mind anymore, but remember that daddy has other ways to tame my little power-bottom," he sensually whispers next to my ear before licking my earlobe and gently nibbling on it.

My breath hitches as I am surprised by his words and actions. I didn't think that he would do something so bold in public. This is the first time he does it. Usually, we are alone or only have Matthias and Katie as an audience. I never thought that I would be so shy of some light public display of affection.

"W-what are you doing?" I whisper loudly as I push him away from me.

"Can't I spend some time with my mate?" he answers innocently before wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"You're clearly not doing that. Incidentally, shouldn't you be with Matthias and Daniel to discuss more significant things?"

"He doesn't need me to argue to prove who's right. You'll see. When they come out of that office, there'll be nothing that was decided," he lazily sighs as he doesn't seem interested by the matter at all.

"I don't know, can't you help and show them that we will both benefit from the alliance?" I grumble starting to get annoyed by their huge ego.

"No, I will not," he answers seriously as I frown in confusion. I didn't know that he hated werewolves as much as his brother and mother.

"And why is that?"

"Because he threatened you. If his pack needs to be exterminated before we can kill the enforcers so be it."

I slightly nod while staring my friend and sister-in-law talking to each other after their training. The look he gave me as he answered my question was enough to keep me from pestering him to agree to my idea. If we can't get an alliance then, we may as much get on our own way. However, I acknowledge his point of view. If someone ever happens to threaten my mate, I don't want to know what I will do to that person. Nothing pleasurable for sure. We sit beside each other in silence while observing our surroundings. The smile on my mate's face has completely disappeared. I should have been more aware of my surroundings. I can't believe that I took my mate's anger against Daniel so easily after I admitted that he threatened me. I am a fool. A fool that I did not realize my mate's genuine emotions on the matter.