Chapter 15

The cheer of the crowd is definitely deafening. If I knew, I would have taken some earplugs. I hate noisy places especially so early in the morning. Aren't we vampires? Aren't we supposed to be silent creatures of the night? So why is everyone screaming when none of the challengers are out? Oh, yeah, I forgot that Matthias has been parading me around since I am the prize. I didn't even get a good night sleep yesterday because Nikolas somehow slept in the same bed as me for the first time. I tried to escape to my room, where I could sleep alone. That was what I thought, but we ended up cuddling, and I was the little spoon. I am humiliated for life.

Once we have walked around for a good hour, I finally get to sit down. Only when I have cooled down a little that I notice something really annoying. Why am I sitting all alone on top of what looks like a tower? I am not a trophy nor an object! But there is sure a lot of people here. I look around the arena and realize that there are a lot more vampires in this city than I thought. I wonder if Eva is here? Who will she be cheering for?

"Welcome everyone! This is a chance of a lifetime, are you guys ready?!" the commentator shouts through the microphone while standing on the stage. "They are both from noble families and have only one goal. The winner of this duel will have unlimited access to this maiden's heart! While the loser will never be able to see nor talk to him ever again," he explains making me grit my teeth in annoyance. I will kill that commentator!

"It looks like you're a maiden and a princess," Matthias chuckles as he sits on the chair next to me.

"What are you doing here?" I grumble while looking away from the man who just arrived.

"I have to protect our damsel in distress, so she can't escape without her knight," Matthias answers with a smile which seriously makes me want to hit him in the gut.

"I am not an object you can toss around! Pures may have lived long enough to settle down and play around all day, but life is not a game!" I complain with a huff.

"We are all players in the game of life. Like any game, there are all sorts of players. How you live your life is your own business, but your life happens to be entangled with my brother's. Finding a mate is the most important thing in our immortal life. What you have done to Nikolas is completely unfair and you are the one who should stop playing around!" the older vampire accuses angrily.

"I know that a mate is important, but I am not ready for it! Did any of you think about my feelings? No, you didn't! Nikolas forced me into it without even working for it. Do you think I will fall in love with anyone saying that we are mate?! Nikolas only wants me because I'm his mate, he doesn't even know me!" I shout back angrily at the other vampire.

"And what about you? Did you try to learn more about my brother? If I follow your logic, you're also guilty! You didn't even know what the mating was before and now, you are saying this? If you knew anything about it, you would not be fighting the mating bond. We, vampires, are lonely creatures. Do you even know how long Nikolas has suffered without knowing if his mate was even alive? If you truly care about my brother, even without mating him, you should have been able to feel his loneliness."

"What about him, did he feel mine?" I ask after a moment of silence between us.

Matthias does not answer my question since the commentator has started talking again. But before he can turn his head, I see it. I saw the answer he would have given me if it isn't for the interruption. The painful expression and how his sharp gray eyes turned dull give me the answer I have been looking for. Nikolas has been suffering too. I have always blamed him for what he did to me. He stole my freedom. It is the only thing I really had since money and the objects I buy with it are just fleeting illusions. He has taken everything from me, so why am I feeling remorseful? This makes no sense.