Chapter 48

My body feels numb. I can't believe my eyes. It can't be happening. We timed every single one of our movements and our plan was well thought and planned. Everything was pointing at our victory, so why?

Even if it is currently raining cold water for a few hours now, my body isn't numb from the cold. I feel numb, but for another reason. As our fight against the enforcers goes on, I only stare at one man and everything happened in slow motion just like in the movies. I feel my heart being crushed into a thousand pieces even if my heart hasn't been beating for more than a century now.

This is a sight that I never wanted to see. All I can notice is the blood leaking out of my mate's stomach or should I say hole. Nikolas is laying on the floor unconscious with a hole of the size of a small watermelon between his heart and abdomen. He is also not healing because he was injected with werewolf's toxins.

Flashbacks come to my mind. Nikolas nearly died to save me from Elizabeth's clutches. All the innocent vampires who were massacred in Matthias' covens. They did not spare a single soul. Children and adults were slaughtered without batting an eye. My nightmares about Eva dying all alone by the enforcer's hands just because she was there at the wrong moment. Matthias being nearly killed because he was trying to protect the people he took under his wings. And Claudia, the only werewolf friend that I have, is now in a comatose state.

I'll never be able to forgive them. I'll make them regret everything they did to my mate and family. That is what I want to do, but... Is it really possible? I'm tired and numb from everything we went through the past few months. How can I survive through this?

My mate is laying on the floor dying, and I can't do anything to save him. He is not healing and I don't know what to do. I want to call for help, but chaos is everywhere. The plan should have worked. It should have! Then why? How did it come to this?

A FEW HOURS EARLIER

We were waiting for the moon to be high in the sky to attack. Thanks to the scouting teams, we successfully located all the enforcers in the forest. When Daniel said that he knew everything about this forest, he wasn't lying. Thanks to that, we will have the advantage of the terrain and visibility. It may be too dark for humans to see in the woods at night, but not for us. We will slaughter the enforcers once and for all before sunrise.

After the sunset, we get into the same small teams than before. I quickly find Michael in the crowd, but there's no sight of the young werewolf. In fact, I haven't seen him all day since we came back. Well, it isn't like I cared about him anyway.

Just when we are about to leave, Nikolas appears next to me with a toothy smile. I frown at him as I back up a little. Why is he so happy? He was sulking a few minutes ago mumbling about not being in the same team. Something is wrong.

"What?" I cautiously ask not wanting to unleash the beast on my poor little ass.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder before proudly asking, "Guess who will be teaming up with my cute little mate?"

My eyes widen at his statement, "Really? Didn't your mom veto it?"

"She did, but..." my mate eyes his dad who just nodded.

I smirked and shook my head as an answer. "No matter how old you get, you're still daddy's boy. Aren't you loved?" The corner of my mate's eyes twitched, but he just brushed it off with a shrug.

Again, as we are about to leave, Daniel stops us. What does he want now? Before we can exchange words, I can already hear people murmuring around us. I roll my eyes at their silliness.

"Is anything wrong?" I ask the Alpha who just keep staring at us.

"I'll be part of your team too," he explains as my eyebrows touch the sky.