Chapter 21

"Micah," a feminine voice calls from behind making me stop walking.

How long have I been longing to hear this voice since the incident? I have been both wishing and dreading for this moment since I don't know how she will react. A preceptor is like a parent to the newly turned vampires, and the bond between them is extremely powerful, especially with the first child. And Eva happens to be it.

"Eva," I mention her name painfully as I turn around to face her, but then I look around us. "Why don't we get somewhere quieter to talk?" I propose since we are standing in the middle of the road.

She only nods as I propose a little coffee shop near our location that I enjoy because of the cozy and relaxing atmosphere. Of course, the drinks there are pretty good too. Eva silently follows me with just a few steps behind. Once we are seated and served, there is an uncomfortable silence between us. This has never happened in the past. We have always been comfortable around each other. This so really a queer situation to be in.

"You know..." she hesitantly starts as she looks at her coffee with her hands around the cup. "I don't know how to act around you anymore..." she pauses as I notice her tighten her grip on the mug. "I am angry at you to have treated Elizabeth the way you did, but..." she pauses yet again as if calming herself as a tear falls on the table. "I am also happy to have finally learned the truth no matter how painful it has been to accept it."

As I listen to her, I stay silent. Mostly not knowing how to react and what to respond. But since she doesn't mention anything, I suppose it's what she wants.

"The others..." she chuckles a little, but I can hear how stressed she is. "The others didn't take it as bad as I did. They somehow knew Elizabeth didn't care about us. But why am I the only one who's still suffering?! Why does it hurt so badly when everyone is now living happily with their life?!" she angrily shouts making the other customers briefly look at us before whispering about the amount of noise we are making.

I gently place my hand on hers before softly saying, "Eva, you're not the only one who has endured this pain. We all felt it and we all grieved on our own way, but... Since you're Elizabeth's first child, it's normal you feel more betrayed than most of us. You only have to find your own way to grieve... Like I did with my sister."

"Didn't we live together for almost a hundred years? Didn't we get excited together when Elizabeth came back after days? Didn't we all love her like our own mother? How can you betray her like that?" she asks as her tears freely fall down her rosy cheeks.

"We didn't betray her. She betrayed us. She has never loved us not even me," I try to explain, but my statement only makes her clench her teeth. "I made sure of it before I let my mate have a duel with her."

"Liar! You were her favourite! Don't deny it! We all know she was giving you her blood as a treat when you were good. Why you? I should be her favourite! Even then I supported you and she cared about you and... And you betrayed her!"

"She only sees me as an object that she can own! We are all pawns to her eyes. It doesn't matter to her even if you had died back then," I try to explain since she's in a delicate state of mind right now. Her bond with Elizabeth is making her all confused with her own emotions. She's panicking.

"Isn't that enough?"

"What?"

"Even if we are pawns, isn't it enough knowing that Elizabeth is somewhere thinking about us?"

"Eva, until now she was hiding somewhere in China doing God knows what. If you think she has been thinking about you, you're out of your mind," I answer irritated.