Chapter 42

As I slowly regain consciousness, I can feel my body being roughly dragged around. I groan in pain as it feels like my whole body is burning from the inside. With great troubles, I somehow manage to open my eyes and try to catch a glimpse of my surroundings. At first, I couldn't see or hear anything. It is as if I had been cut from all my senses.

Slowly, my vision comes back first. One thing is certain. I am out of Daniel's pack, but still in the forest. After a few minutes, my hearing comes back too. Now, I can clearly hear someone groaning and moaning in pain next to me. I can't move my head yet, so I do my best to catch a glimpse at the source of the sounds. Finally realizing who it is, I concentrate all my strength in my sense of hearing. Gradually, I can hear the chirps of the birds, the footsteps of the animals and finally my mate's voice. Something is terribly wrong. I can hear people screaming and Daniel ordering to go hide inside the safe house. This is when I realize what is going on.

"At long last, our prince is awake," hums a feminine voice as she is dragging Claudia and me to an unknown destination.

Roughly, she throws us against a tree and grasps the rope that has been hanging on her waist all along. She ties us tightly before smiling to herself. When I tried to move, only my toes and fingers responded. Then, it hits me. The smell of blood. The odour is too strong to be coming from the pack. That enforcer is clearly not bleeding and so am I. My eyes widen when I realize that it is Claudia's blood that I am smelling. She is losing a lot of blood. Why isn't her wound healing?! Aren't werewolves supposed to have healing abilities too?

"Don't panic. I won't let you die, not yet. We still need both of you in case your friends succeed to escape. Aren't vampires always praising how superior your race is? Yet, the only thing you do is escaping. Always and forever escaping from our grasp. Pitiful," she pauses for a short while as before adding, "Though, it is a surprise to find vampires and werewolves together. I thought you hated each other?" the female enforcer rambles as she dangerously plays with her knives.

She is covered in black leather from head to toe. She is very slim but has curves at all the right places. She is also very tall for a woman. She must be around Matthias height who's taller than Nikolas. All in all, she is very pretty for a woman, but I will never dream to ever date her or anything. By the look of it, she seems like the type of woman who will kill a man in his sleep to get what she wants.

Anyways, I may be a prisoner, but I am not useless. I have to get as much information as I can. The problem is the fact that I can't talk or move. My muscles are still paralyzed. What can I do in these conditions? That's right! I can read her mind. I have only done it on Nikolas before and it wasn't a success. He always detected my presence when I tried to breach his wall. I can at least try. She may not have any mental capabilities. If it's the case, I will be walking through an open door.

I stare at the woman's face as I try to calm my breathing. When I am relaxed enough, I imagined myself being projected inside of her head. I need to do it slowly and gradually. If she notices my presence, it is safe to say that I'm dead. To gain more concentration, I close my eyes. After a great effort, I finally reach her wall.

"What the hell? Did you faint again?" I hear her grumble, but I ignore her, so I can concentrate on my goal.

Good, she doesn't seem to notice my presence in her head at all. I'm almost in. I just need a little push and... Yes! I am inside her head. Right, let's look for some useful information. But how do I do that? I have never succeeded before.

There are a few hundred luminous strings floating around me. I have no idea which one to choose. I grab the one who's closest to me, and I see a small girl curled into a ball sitting in a corner of a white and empty room. Knowing that it isn't the right memory, I pull away before examining another string. After a few tries, I finally find something worth knowing. I get to see the location of their hideout and a few bits and pieces of a few documents. But before I can get a closer look, I feel the distinct sting of cold metal on my skin.